Columbines from seed

Havre De Grace, MD

Hi! My neighbor has some columbine that I love that started from accidental seed in her bed, but although I've taken her seeds and planted them at my house, I've gotten nothing. We've had mild winters here (Maryland) and I planted them by the house, so they may never have frozen. Should I put them in the freezer before putting them out? Also, when should I put them out? The columbine plants I have now are starting to fade out, and they tend to die out in the dog days. Should I wait till spring, or put them out now, or put them out in the fall, or what? Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

A cold spell is important - if the temps get down into the 40's, then they should be fine. I have never succeeded with the fridge method - for any seeds! ANother tip with Columbines - I allow them to self sow in my South garden, but they rarely survive - it is too sunny & the soil dries out too quickly. I have much better results sowing in a shady, moist spot. You can toss the seeds in now, & see what comes up in Spring. Just place a marker there to remind yourself of the location :)
Perhaps someone else can provide fridge details...
Julie

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

ndub, our local newspapaper's garden column said to refrigerate them for a month, then start the seeds in trays or whatever to get seedlings to set out in the fall. The idea was to get a head start for next year's plants. Last year I had hundreds of sprouts in trays, but they 'damped off'. I have good luck just throwing the seed around where I want some columbines. I get lots of seedlings, but only a few make it to adulthood this way, because they're crowded. This year I'm going to try winter sowing too. They're hardy plants, keep at it, once you get some going they self seed pretty much everywhere. Maybe your neighbor has small plants they would share. Our weather isn't much different than yours, maybe try a few ways of sowing, something is bound to work. My small success with columbines was what got me hooked on gardening, so I have a soft spot for them.
I'm curious, do the plants you have now produce seedlings?

Havre De Grace, MD

claypa, yeah, columbine are about my all time favorite (although I try not to say that around the other plants), and I've tried and tried and only had success with one plant. I cut its flowers as long as possible, and this year got to the end of June before letting it make seed heads. And no, it's never produced seedlings, but neither have my neighbor's seeds produced in that spot. If she gets seedlings they disappear in the jungle of her window box. This year I gave up and BOUGHT two more plants and three bare roots--the plants are still green, but the bare roots disappeared after a small show of leaves (my cat rolling around on them may have influenced that behavior...) So we'll see. I think I'll scatter some, refrigerate and scatter, refrigerate and sow,...Like you said, something will work sometime. Where do you have yours? My neighbor's are in FULL sun, but the ones I planted in full sun died. Mine are currently in part/mostly shade, which is pretty much sunny in the early spring before the trees get leaves. My friend has a glorious bed in the shade of a tree.

I have a brick planter 'jungle' that I throw seeds in, hundreds sprout, then get kind of leggy among the lilies, vines, sedum, and whatever else is in there this year. The ones that make it to fall get put elsewhere, usually under the front of shrubs. I think (don't know) they like full sun in the spring, but not in the summer, kind of like a small version of an understory tree. I have divided large old plants, I just pulled 'em apart with my hands and stuck 'em back in, early spring or fall when I put bulbs in.
One thing I noticed this year is that they didn't like 'Garden Safe' insecticidal soap. We have lots of Japanese beetles this year, and they got some over spray. I thought one was dead, but lots of new growth came up from the crown immediately.
Most of mine are in full sun, but get surrounded by irises, lilies, annuals etc., and are hard to find right now.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I think you should try a few different methods as has been suggested. Sow some in pots, trays etc but quite thinly. I would also try scattering some directly onto the ground but cover them lightly with compost and they'll take their chance. Just don't let them dry out when they are young. I grew some long spurred hybrids in pots and they were planted out as soon as possible as they grew so much better in the ground. I'm hoping they'll just self seed themselves. Good luck and keep trying!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Winter sowing them worked very well for me.

I can't wait to try witer sowing. I heard someone mention it years ago, I kind of thought they were nutty, because we got 6 feet of snow there in Maine, but now I'm saving containers for january or so. I see there's a version of messenger for seeds, and it's only 4 bucks and change, so I'm going to try that, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.