New introductions and the seasonal palette

Edgartown, MA(Zone 7a)

I am now beginning to think that perhaps the massively marketed (at least in my neck of the woods) introduction of ‘Endless Summer’ Hydrangea that I had long awaited was not everything I had hoped for after all. One of it’s many attributes is that it continues to produce new flowers throughout the fall and what I discovered standing amongst the fallen leaves last October was the bright blue blossoms clashed with the earth tones of fall. I was so proud of myself when I came up with the solution to add another bright colored new introduction (very late ‘Sandra Elizabeth’ day-lily) until I began to think that certainly just two of these bold summer colors would not be enough to successfully weave through the rust, gold, burgundy, and muted fall tones I would need more new introductions. Suddenly the big picture of trying to replace one season’s palette with another seemed as wrong as a Christmas tree in July. As the nurseries are flooded with new and not always improved introductions I wonder if the colors we associate with different seasons will become a thing of the past? kt

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!