My first Attempt

Bethany, IL(Zone 5b)

My first attempt at retirement / hobby gardening failed miserably. I have a patch of weeds as big as small trees! The horse manure I used to fertilize my garden produces the most aggressive weeds I've ever seen! Now, a little older. a lot sorer, and a little wiser, (well 2 outta 3 aint bad Huh?) I decided I still love fresh produce and playing in the dirt---I just DON'T love getting WAY-DOWN-THERE-to do it! So I began to research raised beds. My best friend made a wood shelter just outside his back door from factory reject garage door panels, which stores several cords of wood --- enough to last him all winter. He had quite a few left over and gave them to me. The idea of re-using this inexpensive resource tickled my inate sense of CHEAP! Voila! Instant inexpensive raised beds! I have them sorted by size and length and am working on the design and possible location(s) for my raised beds now.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

How do I spell "smart"? C-H-E-A-P!

Sounds like a really great project y0slick1. Please post pictures when you have them.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

yeah, i'd like to see those pics myself.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I had to chuckle at your post Slick! I did a similar thing about 35 years ago trying to establish a new lawn. The neighbor across the street offered a pile of "top soil." My new lawn struggled for a long time against superior weeds.

Raised beds work great. Think about lining the inside of the "walls" with something non-permeable or your beds may dry out faster than you want.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.