Crepe Myrtle

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Can someone point me to a link or tell me how to root Crepe Myrtle

I'm sick with the "summer crud" and have a low grade temp, so I'm "not bright" tonight, but I couldn't keep from rescuing a very large limb broken from a big beautiful Crepe Myrtle, earlier today.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance.

Judy

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Follow either of these sets of instructions:

Hardwood or dormant cuttings - Preferred method
Collect hardwood (dormant) cuttings made from the selected plant after frost, but before hard freezes occur (once leaves drop). Three to five cuttings, 6" to 8" long, may be stuck in a one gallon nursery container, preferably larger. The potting mix should be a moistened, organic, potting soil. Be especially sure that the soil is well-drained. One to two inches of the top of the cuttings should remain above the soil line. Make sure the cuttings are right side up.

Through the winter, place the pots in a cold area, but avoid hard freezes. A garage might serve well depending on your climate. Little water or light is needed. Check soil moisture from the drain holes of your container.

In early spring move the containers to a sunny spot in the garden and keep watered. During extremely cold weather, protect them with a cover or move them to a protected area. After six to twelve inches of new growth develops, your crepe myrtles are ready to be planted in the ground. Remember to choose a planting site with full sun or your flower production will be little to none.

Softwood cuttings
Use soft to semihardwood terminal cuttings from healthy plants. Low concentrations of a rooting hormone will speed up rooting but is not required. Place the cuttings under mist and shade. Roots should be produced in 4-6 weeks. Container, potting mix and number of cuttings per container are same as for hardwood cuttings. (If using softwood cuttings with leaves, it is important to keep them from drying. Take a large plastic bottle and cut the bottom out of it, put the cap back on and place it over the container with the cuttings to act as a humidity chamber is an easy way to do this.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, I like that dormant cuttings method! It'll take a little patience over the winter, but there's no need to mess around with misting or humidity chambers. :-)

Michael, what other trees/shrubs would that method work with? Wiegela? Hydrangea? Willow??

Thanks!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.