Blackberry problem

Monon, IN

Hi! Another question for you all . . . our blackberries this year have this strange thing where half of the berry turns dark when ripe but parts of the berry turn a fleshy/brown color. It is soft to touch, as when ripe, and does not taste bad. My neighbor's berries have the same thing. Could it be due to extremely dry weather or do they have some kind of blight or disease?

Thumbnail by CarolJeanie
Monon, IN

This picture is more true to actual color. The first picture showed them more red than it is.

Thumbnail by CarolJeanie
Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

White Drupelet Disorder. Check out the info at the following site:
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/extension/tfabp/newslett/nybn48a.pdf

Monon, IN

Thank you, Lucky! Makes good sense, too, as the blackberries are planted in a southern exposure. Too much hot, direct sun appears to be the problem. At least the berries are still edible. The taste is not particularly affected.

CJ

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I had a bit of sunburn on a few of my red raspberries,[whitish effect], but I have some druplets that are still red while the rest are black on my Triple Crown blackberries.
A closer observation has revealed that all of the red druplets are on the top and/or sunny side and the shaded berries do not have this problem.
My Kiowas are nearly free from this problem even in the sunny sun, but Triple Crown is somewhat plagued with it. I have a large tree near my Triple Crowns but alas, it is north of the berries.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 4:30 PM

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have this problem on the Illini. Less on the Chester.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.