Was out planting around the base of a Bur Oak and...

Beachwood, OH

You needa good laugh? Come over here and play with my kids for a while. If you don't laugh you can cry but at least you'll have an emotional release. Or look at my weeds growing while I drive my kids to every possible thing on the planet. I think those holes are an insect's work also. I've also seen those against a mature tree but can't find my way back to it in the woods. In any case I hope the tree defends itself against it - or its benign.

I loved Davy Crockett as much as any boy ever did - and Andy Griffith and the Lone Ranger and Roy Rogers and am I dating myself.....?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

It must have been on the wrong station when I was a kid, 'cause I never saw it. We only got CBS. Also, TV wasn't allowed on all that much. (I'm glad for that now!)

Have you made it back to the tree, Equilibrium, to see what's developed and to determine whether or not those sticks are all bones or not?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
am I dating myself.....?

Well . . . not to get too personal, but generally, most of us date OTHER people, not ourselves . . . but whatever fries your bacon I guess!
Hee-hee-hee!!!!!!

I do wonder though -- how can you be that old and have kids that young? Either you're a medical miracle or it's waayyyy past time to give those freeloaders the boot and tell them to go get a job!

Guy S.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

It wasn't THAT long ago, Guy!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Lets see ....... color tv started in 1965 and all those shows were in black and white. Hmmmmm how long ago 4paws?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

So, that's a long time? lol
I was born in '56.... Decades are getting shorter, as far as I'm concerned....

Color was in '65? I had to call my mom and ask about it at our house. She got a color TV in 1977, three years after I moved out. Were all the shows made in color after that?

I don't even want to go down this road of dating myself!

I've been in meetings all week so far and it isn't going to let up. I'll have to get out there and take photos this weekend.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
So, that's a long time? lol I was born in '56

Then you're just a young pup trying to act like an adult -- much too young to have seen those shows except as reruns!

Guy S.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Right on Guy. Who knows when color TV started. I never had clear reception until 69 and I was almost out of highschool. I got to see all the TV show when I visited my cousins in Detroit. We had to hold the rabbit ears to watch an entire show.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2006 8:59 PM

Ah ha ha ha ha! We had to hold rabbit ears to watch shows too. Big question of the day, did your rabbit ears have tinfoil on them?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

No does tin foil help with recption! LOL We actually had a rotor on the roof that you would turn to a setting on a compass like thing and it would turn the antenna to kind of get reception to the set. Channel 13 was SW and Channel 9 was NE. It is no wonder that TV is not a big thing in my life even today. I perfer living life not watching someone else live it.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Amen Soferdig. Can any one explain why people pay to see a violent movie when all they have to do is watch the 6:00 news?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I can't do that anymore. My DW watches Csi and all that blood and guts so I just go downstairs and do DG to opera music or new age. I can feel those vivid scenes of bullets splating into bone. too much like work for me.

I don't watch the news.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Neither do I. Used to listen to NPR, when I lived where I got radio. We do have Tribal Radio, which isn't awful, but I have come to appreciate quiet...maybe too much noise going on inside my head....lol

I don't think they were reruns, Guy.... :-) TV wasn't a huge part of our lives when I was a kid. Lousy reception, Dad had to get up on the roof to adjust the antenna, no fancy on the ground gizmos.... I used rabbit ears for reception here, before my DH moved in (then it had to be DirectTV - ugh! - what a waste of money! - 'cept for Twilight Zone...have to admit, it was hard for me to not sit through the entire three day marathon of TZ that was on over the 4th!)

Don't all rabbit ears have tin foil?

TV, imho, is the root of all that ails our modern society. Sure doesn't add to marital bliss in this house...it's too small to get away from the noise, but I'm working on getting the garage more usable for me to escape to in the winter, when I can't be outside 'cause of the never-ending rain.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

The seven sins that cause all anguish and conflict in the world:

Wealth without work
Pleasure without conscience
Knowledge without character
Commerce without morality
Science without humanity
Worship without sacrifice
Politics withoug principle

Mahatma Ghandi

How many of these does TV fit into?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

And his son, Arund Ghandi, added one more:

Rights without responsibility

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

I think we probably could expand that Ghandi list now, but I don't need to go starting another political discussion and get kicked off! We have a real color TV here, although I held out until the old B&W finally blew its CR tube a decade or so ago. We even have a remote!!! And we still have rabbit ears. Because of our location on a rural hilltop we can pick up the Springfield station, usually the Decatur station (a little snowy though), and occasionally Bloomington and Champaign if the weather is right and we lay the antennae sideways. But I don't much care, because I never watch it. Well, except for special events like Superbowl, and for weather reports, which I usually sleep through -- the last thing I will remember is "and now the weather, right after these important messages from our sponsors . . . " and then I wake up about midnight!

Guy S.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well I will admit I watch chick flicks on the Life, Oxygen, and IFC. They make me smile and feel good when the girl gets the guy. (See I'm a sensitive man) LOL

Denver, CO

Someone hand me a bag.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Sorry, I'm already using it!
Maybe Kneevin has one you can use -- he's an old vet too, and thus might be immune to such drivel! Or try Lucky -- he's immune to everything except Liquidambar . . .

Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.