Alium 'Shubertii'

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

I have these alliums with maybe hundreds of seed heads on them.

Any special instructions for gathering and planting in another area?

Thanks, Joan

This is an earlier picture.

Thumbnail by Joan6aON
Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have had purple alliums for years, & I always disperse the seeds in my garden. I don't think I have ever had one germinate - but I do have more bulbs since we first planted them years ago. They would most likely need stratification, & would resemble grass as seedlings...Place a marker so you don't pull them up as weeds. I just don't know if it is worth the bother - it would take several years to grow large enough to blossom... Although I continue to do it, perhaps out of habit!
Julie

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I've heard 4 to 5 years until blooming from seed.

Beachwood, OH

I am drying A. christophii heads to get the seed and I heard the same thing about how long it will take to grow them from seed. On the other hand, so what? I was thinking the way I'll do it is to sink a clay pot in the garden and put them in that - at least i can see there is something there and not weed them away. Not that my garden ever seems to get weeded on time.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I do have some onion grass, which has a blue cast & is hollow. The lily seedlings are green. That is how I can tell which ones to yank. I am not certain about Allium seedlings - they are close to onion grass, but they do not have that tubular shape or the blueish cast.

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

Thanks guys. This would be an experiment only so if it fails - no loss.

Joan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.