Can you identify these berries?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Sorry the picture isn't in better focus. I found these berries at a construction site and if they are edible I'd like to get some to put in my yard. The leaves are kind of fuzzy - if that helps in the ID. Thank you !

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat
Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

They look a lot like wild blackberries to me. They are delicious but can be invasive, so be careful where you plant them.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

They look like what here near the West Coast we call thimble berries, edible but kind of flat tasting. Donna

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

They do look more like the thimbleberry photos from Google. Do they have thorns?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Quyen - Didn't notice thorns - so I'd say no. The plant does remind me of the Thimbleberry plant I bought for my yard though and not at all like my blackberries (which are giant, invasive monsters - that I love - but monsters none-the-less). I will have to post pictures when the "mystery berries" get ripe!

Baltimore, MD

They are probably wineberries, they are native to Japan but have invaded much of the US. Google for pictures. I was just pulling some out of my blueberries a few days ago. They are edible and some people apparently grow them to eat, but they are firmly in the weed category to me. The best way to recognize them is they have many reddish, hair-like spines on the canes.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.