question about yarrow seed

Hooks, TX

I gathered the dried seeds from my pink yarrow this morning. When I tried to sort the seeds from the other material, I didn't see anything that looked like a seed. Are yarrow seeds supposed to have a recognizable seed head? Does it have any type of fluff attached for a wind catcher?

I'm having the same trouble trying to determine what part of the dried heads from my dusty miller to save for planting. I wanted these because the mother plant has survived in the same spot for five years, is very full and a pretty silver. It is just now producing the first flowers. I have collected the dried ones but can't find the seeds. Should I just plant the whole flower part?

I'm sorta new at seed saving. In the past, pre-DG days, I just always bought new plants instead of seed.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Louise

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello,

Try this site, http://theseedsite.co.uk/ it has a lot of pictures of what seeds and seed pods look like. It has helped me to id some of my seeds.
Connie

Hooks, TX

Thanks, Connie. I'll check it out.

Louise

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I absolutely love this site. It's great for seedlings, too. Looks like your achillea and and senecio have teeny weeny fluffy seeds.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

TexasLou .....You will not have to worry about seed saving with yarrow.....you will have double the amount next year. But if you really want to save the seed, wait till the flower heads dry up completely, and then just pull off....

Deann

Hooks, TX

Thanks for all the help from everyone.
That's why I love DG - there's always someone to help
with a problem!

Louise

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.