sowing vegetables for fall

Front Royal, VA

Does anyone here sow a late crop of vegetables that like cool weather? If so, what do you plant and when? I missed the boat on the early vegetables, and realize now that the plants I picked up at the end of the season will do nothing:broccoli, brussel sprouts, red lettuce.

Collegeville, PA

I planted my broccoli two weeks ago - they are the first ones you want to get started. I'll have to check my chart to see when the other ones go into the ground - I'll send an update this evening.

~kimberly

Front Royal, VA

Did you start it from seed?

Greenbush, VA(Zone 7a)

I just put out rutabaga seed and will plant spinach and turnips this weekend. I'm not sure if they will make it but I'm going to give it a try. We don't get frost here until November sometimes so I think I have a good chance of getting something. I'm also going to plant some Lakota squash but that will really be border line and luck!

Norfolk, VA(Zone 8a)

Check out the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange web page... catalogue. They have a zone adjusted chart of veg planting dates. There service is outstanding.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

We often plant lettuce right about now (seeded in a tray in relatively cool spot for transplanting later). That produces some very nice "baby lettuce" (which is how we like it anyway) for fall salads. "Four Seasons" (available from many sources) is a good variety for this purpose.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

You inspired me to try some lettuce. I had extra six packs all ready and ran out of pansy seeds. I have tried fall spinach, but its been overgrown by chickweed. Guess I should have just eaten that too, altho it tastes like grass to me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.