Atemoyas

Geneva, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a atemoya tree---about 14-16 feet tall. I plant on moving soon and was wondering if it is possible to take it with me?
It is 5 years old as far as being here, though I imagine it was at least a year or so when I got it in its original 3 gallon container t the annual Melbourne Rare Fruit Sale in 2001. This is the first year it has produced a heavy crop--it is absolutely LOADED. I live in Zone 9B north of Orlando in Seminole County. and fnd this tree takes our occasional freezes pretty well, with only tip damage and rebounds very fast. I have it growing close to the house, and would like to plant it in a similar location in my new place, which is also in the same Zone---just 12 miles away. Is it possibly to move this tree as I can't stand the thought of starting over again with a small tree and waiting another 5 years. If not a good idea, is there somewhere close to the Orlando area where I could purchase a large atemoya tree? A least 15-25 gallon size--bigger if possible. My variety is Geffner, and the fruits are absolutely delicious,

Thumbnail by Ncasselberryfla
Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

My atemoya is only about 4 foot tall. It had a couple of blossoms but I have not seen any fruit set yet. I have a sugar apple about the same size but it was in a pot until a couple of weeks ago when I planted it in the ground. It bloomed in the pot and now has pea sized fruit on it.

DW

Thumbnail by dwallace59
Fulton, MO

"Sugar apple...bloomed in the pot and now has pea sized fruit on it."

That's music to my ears, DW

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

It was only in a 10 gallon terra cotta pot and had out grown it. I think sometimes the stress put on it causes it to flowers. But it was very root bound and that is why I planted it in the yard.

I had a sugar apple I planted in the ground two years ago and is about the same size but it did not flower.

DW

Citra, FL

What is an atemoya?

Citra, FL

Well isnt that interesting? I have never heard of this before, but it sounds like something I might need to find. Thanks for the links.

Rockledge, FL(Zone 10a)

The tree is too big to be relocated, without hurting the root system. Even if you could move it, it might not be able to recover from the shock.
Brevard Rare Fruit Council's annual Tree Sale is once a year in April (that's where you bought your present tree). We do carry some large trees and they are Geffner.
In the meantime, Rockledge Gardens in Rockledge might be a place to check. They might be able to special order for you a large specimen
to soothe your parting blues.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OK
What does the fruit taste like?

Merritt Island, FL

crestedchik, I have an entry into my rare fruit blog at http://myrarefruitphotos.blogspot.com/

To answer Ncasselberryfla's original post, I have sucessfully moved a fruit-bearing size Geffner variety of atemoya, but because they are a hybrid, remember the trees will vary from variety to variety (as do all traits from the dominant vs. recessive genes).

In my case, I also got the tree from Brevard Rare Fruit Council's tree sale in Melbourne. Mine was in the ground 3 years before I moved it.

You'll need some pruners, and someone with a front loader. If you do not have access to some heavy machinery, forget the possibility of moving it.

first, prepare the new site, making a hole a bit larger than the current drip zone of the tree. Best done with a front loader.

You'll need to have the front loader cut down near the drip line on all four sides (imagine a square box at the drip line) making little wedges to remove the soil around the tree, still keeping the soil around the root ball as undisturbed as possible. Then you'll need to get as deep under with the front loader scooping as much of the root ball with soil as possible.

Keep the tree in the bucket of the front loader and transport both to the new location. drop her in the hole, and keep watering with a hose, introducing new soil with the hose running on it (making it muddy) - this is important - you need to get rid of any air bubbles that could be around the roots. I should mention you need to build a dam around the new tree location by creating a 6" high pile of dirt all the way around the new location. this way, when the water rises, it fills up the entire area like a bath tub!

I personally use reclaimed water, so I can keep the hose on for hours and make sure the area fills with water to the top of the dam, then let it settle down into the soil. Repeat for a few hours.
come back and do it again a few times throughout the first several days.

it is a lot of work, and you may be best to just call Kevin at Rockledge Gardens, but I can attest that the method worked for me (as well with Lychee trees).

If you have time, keep an eye on my rare fruit blog. I just started it and would appreciate your visit / comments. Plus, you'll get to see some cool photos of what I grow on the East Coast

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.