Hydrangea forum

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I was wondering whether there would be enough of us interested in hydrangeas to warrant a forum on these marvellous shrubs. There are hundreds of beautiful cultivars and if you take a look at this site you have to agree they are beautiful and so easy to grow and propagate.
Please check this out :-

http://www.esveld.nl/voorraadengels/voorrhydrangea.htm

http://www.esveld.nl/engels.htm

This message was edited Friday, Jul 20th 10:52 PM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Bringing this back to the top (sorry). I know there are hydrangea lovers out there - but possibly not enough of us to make this a forum eh!! Not to worry - *sigh* :-)

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Good morning. Since this is a thread on Hydrangeas, I have a question. I have a hydrangea, blue, which bloomed several years ago. Beautiful sight. However, when it finished blooming I cut back the stalks completely. It has not bloomed since. Is there anything I can do other than go out and buy a new one? Any advice will be appreciated.
Mary

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Louisa, Count me in the vote; the "yes" pile, of course.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 23rd 4:55 AM

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Count me also, my wife has 5 or 6 different varieties; I would like to learn more about them.

Paul

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Phew!! Thought there was no-one out there!! OK let's see if anyone else responds and then leave it up to Dave to see whether it's worth rating another forum. Mary, I can probably answer your question. You have inadvertently cut off this year's new growth. I leave the flowers on the shrub until the following February. They protect the new buds that will form the next generation of flowers. If you have visible signs of new buds coming along now then you should be OK. Helen, congratulations!! I am so pleased and yes can't wait to start trading. Paul, lovely to have you with us on this. I have only two kinds right now and they are still growing in their pots. Amazingly easy to root. My 9 month old cuttings have flowers on them now. MM I am happy to see you here also and looking forward to trading and then we can all build up a wonderful collection.

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Over 2 days, 4 people have stepped forward wanting the forum so far...

What should we do? Is there enough interest in creating the forum? The concern with creating a forum without enough people interested, is it can lead to a "stale" forum, where there is very little or no discussion. We certainly don't want that.

Would Garden Talk, Perennials, or Trees&Shrubs be a better place to continue discussing hydrangeas, or should we continue to consider a hydrangea forum. Please let me know!

Dave

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I can't keep up with all the forums now! I love Hydrangeas though...but , sorry Louisa, I think that a thread posted in existing forums is going to get more feed back and be viewed by more widespread membership.

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Well Dave, friends, it looks like this is a no-no!! I would hate to have Dave set up another forum only to have it bite the dust. I agree with everyone's sentiments. It's a shame though but it looks like this is a non-starter. Unless we are deluged in the next 2 hours or so...lol! Not to worry. Just keep alert to the posts on Trees and Shrubs I guess. By the way MM don't most things go dormant during the winter, unless you live in a tropical zone? Just a thought - and during the winter we could be discovering new hydrangeas, choosing what we want to grow, and deciding where to put them, not to mention propagation etc, etc. A lot to be said for the winter months. :-)

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

Hi all you hydrangea lovers. I have several different varieties and think they are one of the best plants in my garden (although I don't have any that I don't like). A forum on hydrangea sounds great to me as I have had to learn by my mistakes in the past. I just recently found out that the NIKKO blue is root hardy in my zone (5), but it may not be flower hardy. I have two of them and the plants are beautiful, but no flowers. We had a long and very cold winter as did most of you and I think thats the reason there are no blooms. Dosen't matter to me, the plant foilage is as great this year as in past years and as long as they'll survive they have a home here. Happy Gardening!!!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Dan and welcome!! So glad to meet another enthusiast - who knows, little by little we may increase the amount of interest here that so far has not shown much promise. Keep in touch now OK :-)

Cordova, MD

Being a new gardner, I have discovered how great hydrangeas are, but know little about them! I would enjoy a forum on them greatly! (is that the right form of grammar??)
anyway- didn;t see this posting till it was probably too late- but thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in anyway!
JSS =:0))))

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

jeanne it's never too late!!! Like I said we may yet increase our numbers and get that forum after all :-)

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Me too MM :-)

Cordova, MD

yep....
-JSS =:0))))

La Porte, IN(Zone 5A)

Come on Dave, you've got us begging.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

While I agree with the concern over too many forums I would love to see one devoted to hydrangeas - simply one of the Garden Queens IMHO.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Another one Dave !!! - thanks for your input Verdesign :-)

Powell, TN

I think a forum on hydrangeas is a great idea. There is so many cultivars out there. They add color to your garden beds at different times from spring to fall. There is a lot of questions I would like to know also about them. How to root them and why some flower easy and others take serveral years to get going. I think every garden should have some. I am voting and fingers crossed for a forum on hydrangeas. Beebalm!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

i'd certainly visit with all my eager questions if there were a forum...

Nanaimo, BC(Zone 8b)

They are very nice. There is one in my neighbours yard, the flowers vary in color, is this because of the Acidity of the soil? Seems I read that somewhere.Do not have any in my yard yet but that might change soon.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Prain - blue flowers mean acid soil. Pink - alkaline. Then there are a very few that remain pink in both types of soil. Well, the numbers are swelling slowly but surely. We will see how it goes! Meantime, please give me some feedback on my post "Is it a date then" which refers to meeting in the chat room to talk about hydrangeas. If we can't have a forum then at least we can have meetings maybe every Thursday. Thanks!!

Wow, I forgot about this thread for a couple days and look what happened!! The hydrangea crowd came out of the woodwork. :-)

Ok, a Hydrangea Forum has been created! See you there!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/hydrangeas.html

Dave

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much Dave - I take it you will be using the forum also :-)

I'm subscribed!

Cordova, MD

YEA!!!!-JSS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.