Strawberry guava

Fulton, MO

5b/6a. But I cheated, you see, because the guavas are grown year-round in the greenhouse.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

That's all the more better. Congratulations!!! You've success.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I just bought some red strawberry guava seeds. Impatiently waiting for them to arrive in the mail so I can start some! :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The seeds will germinate easily with warm environment. I've had good success with tropical guava's seed germination, and now have several seedlings that are several inches tall.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Would it be advisable to use a heat mat? I was thinking of getting a heat mat through the co-op that is open right now, but I wasn't sure how much it would get used.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My zone is much warmer in general, but I germinated mine in the basement greenhouse with supplemental light. Temp. in 70's and without supplemental heat mat.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ok. I think I will try germinating them with a heat mat. Does it matter at what time of year they are started?

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

How do you know when the fruit is ripe? I have about 8 green fruits but they don't seem to be doing much. They have looked the same for about a month now. Thanks for any help!
Caren

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Caren, have you got some pics.? Is yours strawberry guava, or pineaple guava?
Kim

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Sorry, mine is the strawberry guava. I started this one from seed 3 years ago. Here is a pic of the fruit

Thumbnail by Heavinscent
Fulton, MO

Strawberry guava turns red when ripe. They will sit there for a long time.

Thumbnail by stressbaby
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Thank you!

Montreal, Canada

I have also started seeds for this wonderful fruit tree. I intend to grow mine in a container. Any advice for growing guavas in container

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am starting seeds for container growing too :) The first one I tried to grow ended up molding. :( Hopefully I will have better luck another time. Have your seeds germinated yet Flower?

Montreal, Canada

No they have not. But my roselle seeds I bought from Tradewind Fruit and Plant seeds have already germinated, after about two days. Please note that they are in a greenhouse, which gets very hot during the day.

Has anyone have luck with guava seeds purchased from Tradewind fruit and plant seeds?

Thanks,
Charmaine

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have had very good luck with Tradewind. I purchased a bunch of stuff and what I planted has had a great germination rate. That is where I got the guava from. Right now, I have marsh mallow and pacay growing from them.

Montreal, Canada

Redhead - I was wondering what you do to winterize your plants. Also, any good advice on how to keep them healthy during the winter. Thanks.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am pretty new to all of this. I just started getting into herbs and other plants in February, so I haven't wintered anything yet. One of my mom's friends is starting a greenhouse, and she offered to keep my tropicals for the winter. I have a very sunny south facing window my herbs seemed to like in March and April. Sorry I can't be more help! Have you tried asking around in the Canadian Gardening forum?

This message was edited Jul 6, 2008 3:47 PM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Quote from Ncasselberryfla :
They are delicous and make great jam, but, they can also get infested with the little worms each year in the fruit--a real pain. Is this a problem anywhere else? I am in the Orlando, Florida area.

You really need to contact the Florida Extension agent in your county and make sure these are not Mediterranean fruit flies. They are a horrible pest here, very difficult to control, and threaten the entire Florida fruit industry if they are allowed to live and reproduce anywhere in the state.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.