Can I meet Fig chill requirement?

Fulton, MO

I have a new BT fig. I can overwinter in my greenhouse which is kept at a min temp of about 54*F for my other tropical plants. I have the option of a partially heated garage, usually around 40-45*F.

I would prefer to keep the plants in the greenhouse...I will be able to keep a closer eye on them there. But I have read that they have a chill requirement of 100-500 hours under 45*F. My question is, will I meet the chill requirement in the greenhouse? Is perhaps >1000 hours at 54-60*F as good as 100-500 hours at 45*F?

Thanks. SB

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Since figs can get rather large, you will need a very large pot. Brown Turkey needs 100 chill hours. It shouldn't be too difficult to get that. I have two dwarf fig trees, Petite Negri and Black Jack, in 24" pots and overwinter them in my greenhouse. I leave my fig trees out until the first hard frost to make sure they go dormant and take them out late winter when the night temperatures are still in the low 40s. Every once in a while I have to run outside and throw a blanket on them if we get a late frost.

You may want to start new cuttings every few years.
Veronica

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.