apple tree, apples too soft too soon

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi all, for the last 2 years, my apple tree has produced lots of nice sized fruit, but before the fruit gets to be ripe, it turns yellow and softens, then falls off the tree. I put in fertilizer spikes this year to try and help it. Is this the apple maggot? I just put out traps, later than suggested, but I had to try something.

Anyone have any thoughts? I prefer organic low chem solutions.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Sounds to me like you've got one of the early apple varieties, like Yellow Transparent, Early Harvest or Lodi, and you've missed their peak. You eat them when they're still green. There's about a 15 minute(I'm exaggerating, but not by much) window of opportunity when they taste really good - crisp & tart - but then they get mealy and yukky. If they're yellow, you've missed it.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I found that my Grand Galas also had a very short window. To complicate matters...hail dings are turning brown and they may spoil like a watermelon that got dings and cracks from hail.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I think Lucky is on the right track, some variety of summer apple. Kind of hard to say which one without a photo.

Donna

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks all, you are correct and I am going to spend tomorrow picking and making apple butter tomorrow. My neighbor calls them "transparent" apples and says they ripen real early. Glad I finally asked, nothing wrong with the tree, I just needed to pick them! LOL :)

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

YT is an excellent early apple, and makes great applesauce, but you've gotta pick 'em while they're still green and firm. If they make it to yellow - blah! Mealy, and only good for pitching over the fence to the cows & horses.
Early Harvest and Lodi are similar; Lodi is a YT offspring, and often touted as an 'improved' YT - it's larger, but IMO, not an improvement.
For me, the best 'early' apple is MonArk - a big red-over-green apple with firm, crisp white flesh - and this one will keep for 6-8 weeks; great for eating out-of-hand, and great for baking, as well.
http://www.vintagevirginiaapples.com/apples/monark.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.