When will the Dykes Medal for 2006 be announced?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

If I am not mistaken it should be soon. Also, I gather there are several other awards announced about that time. Anybody have any guesses about which Irises will win?

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Awards should be announced in August some time
:)
A

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

They were announced to the Iris mailing list today. Looks like SEA POWER by Keith Keppel won the Dykes.

Complete list of awards here:

http://www.usjoneses.com/jijones/AIS_Documents/

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks Ida was just going to post it
Anita

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much! I have ordered Sea Power this year. I hope it comes through!
Betty

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

WAY TO GO KEITH!!!!!!!!!!! :0)

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks for this list--Hush Money is a very pretty LA Iris. Sorry folks but the others I don't know since they won't grow here for me. ;)
Debbie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

SDB Ruby Eruption won.
Cheers for Chuck Chapman.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I love RUBY ERUPTION!! It's probably my favorite SDB.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sea Power didn't bloom the first year in my garden but sure made up for it in it's second year.

Thumbnail by doss
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hi doss!
That is a stunning picture. I have Sea Power on order. I am glad you warned me that it takes a while to get started. That way I won't be disappointed. Actually, I am not sure why, but most iris takes a while to get started in my garden.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Maybe they take awhile because you are in zone 5a? Could be.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Perhaps you are right. I never understood. I just noticed that eventually they all bloom. A small percentage bloom the first year or two, but most bloom the third year. I bet it is just a short growing system that causes them to be so slow.

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

When you get iris, even if you get some dug from down the road, when they are clean dried and replanted, the roots you see are not the roots that will nourish the plant later. These will allow you to anchor the new planting until new roots grow. They will eventually die off as new roots take their place, which is why new plantings are so easy to pull up for weeks, even months after they are planted. Some iris are very vigorous and will bloom the 1st year after planting but the majority are busy putting down roots and re-energizing the rhizome.

I am tickled when I get a first year bloom because I don't expect it. But is sure is nice to see.

A

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info. Now I know my experience is not unique. I, too, one in a while get a first -year bloom. But only in a small portion of my newly planted rhizomes. And I agree, it is always a thrill.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Because of my warm gardening zone, almost all iris bloom for me the first spring. Sea Power was an unusual exception but you can see that it increased incredibly well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.