Edible Flowers

Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

I checked all the forums on DG and this was just my best guess for this question...

My sister is decorating a wedding cake. She asked me what kind of fresh flowers she could use to decorate (not actually eat). The only ones I could come up with on the fly were Roses, Violets and nasturtiums.

Does anyone know any more pretty flowers she could use? She wants to use daisies but I couldn't tell her if they were poisonious or not.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

Just found it, but looks interesting (wild edibles have been a hobby of mine for a while).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Pansies & Violas, Hibiscus, Daylilies, Monarda, any herb flower... I was going to keep going, but I clicked on that link, and it's quite a nice long list! I didn't realize fuchsia blooms were edible....

Wow, just think of Hibiscus and Fuchsia on a wedding cake! Chrysanthamums are on the "edible" list, so I think daisies might be OK... but verify before using them. Our wedding cake was topped with Stargazer lilies, but they were arranged in a little glass vial and didn't contact the frosting, and they were removed before the cake was cut & served. Still, a couple of people asked if they were edible flowers (I guess they know me, LOL)... so it's not a bad idea to stick with varieties that are edible (or at least not poisonous) for any kind of food presentation!

Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

Just what I (she) needed!
Thanks for coming through for me! (I new you would)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Hope this isn't too late: angel wing begonia flowers! I use them on top of cakes...especially cheese cake and in salads. They have a citrusy like flavor... YUM.

Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the info. She didn't use that flower but she did used a Hawiian flower, I forgot what it was called but she said it was beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.