Can you ID this ugly thing?

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Can you ID this ugly thing?

Thumbnail by aprilwillis

So is this some sort of chrysallis (sp) and if it is, what is going to come out of this thing?

Thumbnail by aprilwillis
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it's a bagworm. the worm is inside and sticks to the plants by his mouth. pull it off and step on it, hard. they are bad and nasty and you don't want them.

Oh I knew it was something awful! Thank you!
You know years ago I recall seeing one but they were very small. I never saw one this big- I am afraid to ask, how big do they get?

This message was edited Jul 10, 2006 8:24 PM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

...but they sure are fun to watch and take apart! lol

X

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

most of the ones i've seen are small, BUT i have seen some giants, a couple three inches long at least!

oh no X! it's too gross. i have a hard time even stepping on them, much less taking them apart. LOL

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

I had bagworms completely invest some bushes in the front I had to cut down and remove. I thought at first they were little baby pinecones until they walked across the driveway! They will take over everything if allowed. I was told to burn them but had so many we just trashed the whole bush and got it far away! UGH!!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

little baby pinecones???!!! ROFLOL

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

WELL that is what they looked like hanging from the bush LMAO!!! and then Henry remarked that a few were crawling across the driveway! LOL The walking pinecones had TO GO!!!!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

your little Henry is the brains of the family (and Skillet of course)...................>ducking n' running

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

YOU better duck and run! I am the brains here and no one else LOL

YUP gonna keep telling myself that until it sticks!!!!!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

uh huh, uh huh!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

ROFL .. little baby pinecones walking .. i love it! .. what a wonderful description! .. As to taking them apart, I didn't dissect them .. i just dismantled their home when I was a kid .. lots a fun to see if you can do it without squishing the occupant! Neat little wormy thing inside .. birds love em!

X

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

ROFLOL

well mine did look a tad more like a pinecone AND they did WALK! :-)

but thankfully MOM levilyla told me fast that they were not the cute walkng pinecones we would like to have and we quickly got rid of them!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

poor little baby pinecones....'^'

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Uh oh .. you gonna call the little baby walking pinecone police on me track?

X

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

ROTFLOL

Quoting:
little baby walking pinecone police

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yeah, after i pick myself up off the floor and clean off the computer...wheeeeee!

Well glad to know that someone finds these things amusing! Yuck. I cannot imagine seeing more than one, but many hanging from a bush! Yikes. I'd have trashed the bush but I'd have been wearing my haz mat suit! Those things are just to gross for me- thank god I didn't try to protect it, thinking it was an ugly duckling about to turn into some beautiful swan!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

sorry we hijacked your thread for our own selfish amusement. lol it doesn't take much to get us going. i think they must have an interesting life cycle, i just don't want to be around to see it!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

We used to have to pick them off the bushes when I was a kid. Hated that job. And when you squished them... green. Blech.

Ok Zeppy I think that deserves many years of therapy! You know I grew up in Calif (1st 12 yrs) then moved to east coast. Don't EVER recall seeing or hearing about these nasty little creatures- whatever eats them we should import them!

trackinsand, no worries, I was amused and interested in a perverse, twisted sort of way.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

OH my more then one! our bushes were covered in them no possible way I was going to pull every one of them off. I was told if I pulled them off I would have to either move them miles away or burn the whole lot of them to actual get rid of them! They started to go over to my 30 foot pine tree so my best bet was to get rid of the entire invested bushes which were sizeable themsleves.

Leaving my neighborhood a few days later I saw two hanging from the stop sign far away from my house so what I was told was true that once they start they can invade quickly and be very destructive!

So did you think about selling your house and moving? Gee that would be too awful.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I wonder how we got rid of them? We only had them for a couple of years, and then hardly any. I think a year with less than ideal weather conditions is all that's needed to keep some 'invasions' at bay.

I know that my daughter found a few tiny ones on one of her fuschias and she used insectisidal soap. It killed it pretty much right away, the worms were very small, much smaller diamter than the bag; the soap worked very quickly.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

well with all the other stuff that happened when we moved here I sure did get upset with nature! But removing the bushes got rid of the bagworms here and crossing my fingers have yet to see them again! That must have been a big year for them because I would see them dangling from signs all around the area out here and none since!

BUT I am NOT looking for them either! LOL

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i think they are the worst on conifers, pines, cedars, etc. but i too have seen them hanging from all sorts of ridiculous spots. you have to wonder what they are thinking. hmmm, this flag pole looks delicious!

Ok you guys have forced me to look into these nasty little buggers: (not sure if this link will work, but the others will)

http://search.msn.com/images/details.aspx?q=bagworms&color=both&size=1p&ht=150&wd=200&tht=96&twd=128&su=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ppdl.purdue.edu%2fPPDL%2fweeklypics%2f7-29-02-1.html&iu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ppdl.purdue.edu%2fPPDL%2fimages%2fbagworms43_sm.jpeg&tu=http%3a%2f%2fimages.picsearch.com%2fis%3f8wHRH1CyjOkqQZFhw3hq2MCdurKpGd-pdGV6Prp_pbE&sz=7

Bagworms
Bagworms used to be a minor problem of junipers and arbor-vitae. Now that they have found a fondness for Leyland cypress, they are seriously damaging some major landscape components. This can be seen as one more reason not to plant leylands. But you'll have to deal with them for your clients for some time to come.

The bags are present now and it may not be too late to remove them. There is little value in spraying before the new generation emerges, usually late May to early June. Watch for them, as they're fairly easy to control when they're young - if you can get to them. After they hatch, Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt.) formulations such as Bactospeine, Biotrol, or Dipel can be effective but only if the worms eat it. Once they are older, use other products such as Orthene, Talstar, Sevin, Mavrik, malathion or Conserve. By late summer, it's almost useless to spray. From then until next May, remove the bags by hand.

and so much more than you ever wanted to know:

http://entoplp.okstate.edu/ddd/insects/bagworms.htm

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

LMAO

yes that is what I was thinking they would be hanging from the corners of stop signs??? WHY??

the bushes we removed were jumipers and big! and the darn things would crawl across the driveway to get to my enormous Pine tree -- well we could not have that! so by by to the junipers!

and I know it sounds funny but my other pine drops these tiny cones and they are all over the place it truly was the "Mom that pinecone is crawling" from Henry that I noticed the ones on the jumiper were moving as well!

Sounds funny but when I saw some of the photos I could see how it would happen.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh yucjk when I looked at those pictures all I have to say is thank heavens I only saw the walking pinecones and NOT what comes out of them! EEK

Even having hundreds of them is not as bad as what emerges !!!!!

Yeah I can't help but wonder why there are so many gross and disgusting worm things in the world.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

ROTFLMBO! I have to agree there!!!!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I used to have huge pfitzer junipers. Huge. I would go out and pick these off by the bucketful. Quit trying to keep count. It is really a good way to get rid of all your aggressions. Once you're done (for that night - tomorrow you'll see more) you feel like you have really accomplished something! It does take a sharp eye!!!

But be real sure to put them in a sealed container they can't get out of before you trash them, or you'll see the walking pine cones moving down the trash can, and (in my case) across the garage floor.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh, you know what? i'll bet they make great fishing bait.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL now everyone is calling them the :walking pinecones" I Love it Henry will get such a kick out of hearing that his observation on what they looked like stuck LMAO

Yeah, but wouldn't you have to - um - remove them first. I stop short of that.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

YES that is what someone told me! to HAND pick them off the junipers and bag them and take them far away or burn them...
I NEVER got past the HAND picking them off so gone with the bushes entirely!
so long bag worms !

And see - you still have all that aggression towards them....LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.