Grafters tape?

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I am making a standard with a hydrangea Paniculata. The instructions call for grafters tape. The garden shops in my area does not sell the tape. Can I substitute some other kind of tape such as masking tape or electrical tape?

Thanks

Gary

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

not sure if this helps, but I was just looking at this thread this am and noticed the tape in Clare's pics http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/606901/

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Grafting tape dissolves after a year or so - leaving a nice clean graft. If you substitute another type of tape, you have to remove it and it could end up leaving the graft 'messy' or the tape could become embedded in the graft and cause problems in the future when your plant is growing. But if you WANT to use a different tape (masking tape, electrical tape or whatever) you could - and you might get good results. But why go through the hassle of doing the graft if you aren't going to end up with a nice plant in the end.

When doing grafts, I wouldn't subsititute a 'similar' product for the grafting tape or the grafting wax. You can order both online through various retail nursery supply stores and they aren't that expensive (a couple of dollars for a roll of tape).

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I was just thinking... if you "had to" use something else, maybe the masking tape would work because it's made of paper. Eventually it would peel off in the elements.

I'll defer my "expertise" to Michael, because he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and I've never tried to graft anything.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.