Where would you extend the gardens for more hostas?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm on a city lot 60 feet wide and 100 feet deep plus maybe 20 feet of city easement at the front.

I'm also a hostaholic. I'm going to need more space for more hostas in a few years. I've concluded that short of giving up my veggie garden in the back that the sun is wrong - too much afternoon sun. That leaves the east side of the house, where there is a bit of space, and the front yard which faces south but has trees.

Last summer we made the garden at the right around the oak tree. Seemed a good idea at the time to raise the south end of it with stonework - after all, the real reason for the garden (as far as my husband was concerned) was to enrich the oak tree. But, in retrospect, that stonework limits what I can do to make more space for hostas.

I'm thinking that the gardens on the left could be widened or that I could start an entirely new garden in the lawn. I would be very interested in learning your ideas.

Thanks,
Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
This thread has 59 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!