Strawberries All plant and no fruit

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

For the life of me, I don't know what is the deal with strawberries. I can never seem to grow any berries on the dang things. This year (year two for this particular group of "everbearing"~ha!) I've faithfully cut off all the runners. In June, I got about two berries for approximately 12 plants. Now, nada. No blooms, nothing! I've got them planted in an old wheelbarrow, in a peaty/composty mix with good drainage. They are in full sun.

Please help...what am I doing wrong?????

Signed, Desperate for real strawberries~ lol!!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

We can only guess what is wrong. First of all...do you know what variety you have?

If mine did not bear by now I would add some real soil to the mix....and contemplate another variety that is known to be well suited to my region.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Indy~

Wish i could remember the variety but I can only remember they were everbearing type. I bet you are right about the mix. Wouldn't cost me anything to add some good old fashioned dirt to them. thanks for the suggestion :)

Glen Rock, PA

The problem is the soil. Peaty compost will grow plants, but few fruit. Most plants are like that, they will grow nice leaves but few blooms if the soil is too rich or overfertilized.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Sounds like the soil is the culprit. Come to think of it, the last time I tried strawberries was also in a container and I probably had the same problem. Thanks, guys!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Wow I must be blessed around here. You throw some seed on the ground come back about 6 weeks later and you have strawberries all over the place, if fact our strawberry season came and went a month ago at least. By the way the watermelons are about prefect this year so if you can get GA or SC watermelons their very sweet this year.

Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a couple of theories...did you plant them at the correct depth? I forget what the result is if you plant them too low but this would cause you problems. How old were the plants when you got them? According to one web site I read, the plants should be replaced every 3 to 4 years. Did you check for root rot?
Try keeping the runners, maybe they will produce for you.
Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.