El Diego, Oriental Lily

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

New to this plant. I purchased this plant from wally world and the tag says to plant in sun/ part shade. I have no idea where to plant. I have total full (all day) or morning sun and afternoon shade. Any help would be great. I don't want to kill this beauty. also the tag shows flower is pink with white center but the bloom is white on my plant. Do the flowers turn color as they get older and will they only bloom once. Have no idea. Just another plant I am adicted to. OMG. Also do I need to dig up and bring in during winter or leave out in ground? HELP!!!!!!!!

Cindy

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

How exciting, your first lily. It's an oriental, so that means it will probably have a nice fragrance. Plant it someplace where you can enjoy that. I've never heard of El Diego. How tall does the tag say it will get. That may have some impact on where you want to plant it.

Lilies generally need about 6 hours of sun, but can do with less. If you're in an area that gets really hot, I suggest afternoon shade. Lilies like their feet in the shade and top in the sun. If they are in too much shade, you may notice that the lily gets tall, streching for the sun.

The flowers will fade with hot sun and with age. It will bloom only once a season, but can be overwintered outside. Make sure you pick a spot that doesn't get too wet in winter. The lily could be mistagged or the tag may just be a representation of an oriental and not the one you are buying. Buying from WallyWorld may give you a bargain, but, IMHO, you don't always know what you're getting.

If you are really enjoying this lily, you may want to consider adding others. Orientals tend to bloom late in the lily season, but you can plant other types to give you blooms almost all summer long.

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

What are some of them that bloom all summer long,

This is not mistaged because the tag was put on with wire clamp, I got two of them

18-24 " tall

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

They don't bloom all summer long, but if you have a few from each lily division, Asiatics, LAs, Trumpets, Orienpets, Orientals, etc, you can have lilies most of the summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.