Iris seeds

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

One of my irises put out a seed pod and finally I got brave enough to cut it from the plant and cut it open. There are six nice brown seeds, and I have no idea whether I can start iris from seed. Any thoughts?

Before you ask, they either came from Indian Chief or the old standby lavendar Oregon.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I have heard that you can, but it may be difficult. I have two large seed pods on the plant now, and I am wondering what to do with them after they are removed? Do I store them over the winter or do I go ahead and plant them this fall? Hoping someone will answer our questions. Thanks, Karen (aka liebran)

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I assume you are talking about bearded irises? It is best to wait until the pod browns and start to crack open before cutting it off, but maybe yours is OK anyway. In the fall I just plant the seeds into a pot a half inch or so deep and leave it out for the winter. They come up in the spring. Easy to do and they are out of the way.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Pard,
You crack me right up.

Won't go in to loo tank, in and out of fridge and all the rest. How nice to live in PNW.

inanda

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Inanda, I would think they would do just fine fall sown in North Carolina. Do they develop more germination inhibitors in colder climes? That would make sense. Do you put yours into the loo tank? And then into the fridge?? Maybe I should take these seeds and try them different ways... I'm always up for a little experimentation.

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Thanks, yes these are bearded irises. What do I do with the seeds until fall-keep them in the refrigerator? Karen (liebran)

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Since these are my first iris pods I am still at a loss of what to do. I am told to wait until they turn brown, they are just starting to get brown spots. After I harvest the seeds and let them dry (overnight? is enough??)--what do I do with them????? Really need help with this. Thanks, Karen (Iris is After the Dawn--really pretty)

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/7679/seeds.html

Take this link and have fun. It is the best I have seen for iris seeds. I have been using it since I found it and have had great success.

you might even get one of these.

Thumbnail by avmoran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

PS Since you may not get cold enough put the seeds in the fridge from now until you plant in the late fall
:)
Anita

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

is anyone into sparing a seed *begging on hands and knees ready to kiss feet* :0)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Avmoran, did you grow that one from seed? What is the name please...it is just beautful. How long do they take to bloom from seed?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Noel, You can't grow TBs bearded iris in Florida. Far too hot. Try dietes, morea or louisiana iris. Bearded and many beardless iris need the cold. Just like peonies.

inanda

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Hello again,
I've been gone having back surgery and just came home from the hospital yesterday, but you all were really helpful in the meantime.

I will put my little seeds into the fridge (paper bag, right?) tomorrow and then plant them in a pot in the fall. Instead of having them in my greenhouse keeping them warm, I should leave them outside for the winter?

I've a lot of irises, but have never had a seed pod before, so it's kind of exciting. I guess it doesn't take much to keep me happy!!!

Thanks for all the information.

Diane

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Janet - Yes I grew this one from seed and this is its maiden bloom. She has no name yet but if she continues to come up like this and does well in the test gardens she is being sent to she will be introduced.

inanda - I have never understood why bearded can not be grown in Florida but not sure heat is it as they seem to do well in Arizona in 110+ heat and in the Mohove' Desert which is just as hot.

having said that I'm sure many have stried and failed but I still have to believe there is a way to get them to grow there. They have alway told me since I got into Iris that you can not grow Aril iris in the midatlantic because the humidity will kill them when they go through their summer dormancy.

I Love arils and was determined to grow them. I started with seeds and after ALOT of mistakes I finally have a micro environment that my arils do well in and I have more than 70 named varieties now. They do not all do well but enough that I can enjoy them and use them to increase the gene pool and get arils that all do well in the midatlantic area. I have 3 seedlings being tested now and one of those in is tennessee with can be even wetter.

I have extra seeds and SIGNA has a seed exchange I would love someone in FL to try and make a micro environment and try to grow them there.

Noel having said all that inanda is also correct with the iris she recommended they would do fabulous in your area as would many species, spuria, most of the beardless in fact especially those from regions like yours

A

PS here's a link that might be of intrest - enjoy
http://www.suncountryiris.org/culture1.html

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, how exciting. Congratulations! She is beautiful!
Janet

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks I really like her.
She is guesting in Oregon and Virginia this year and I am hoping to send her to the south and north (Zone 3) next year
A

hmmm Sending you D-mail

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Anita, your maiden bloomer is absolutely stunning!!

Only two of the new irises that I planted last year bloomed this year, and I cut the blooms to bring them inside, so no seedpods for me this year! LOL I've had good luck growing daylilies from seed, though, so maybe I'll try irises ones year.

I'm clearing away weeds and spraying herbicide on the bindweed so my new irises from the FSK iris society soil will have a good place to go next week.... I know it would've been better to plant them promptly, but they still look good, and they will fare better if I can knock the weeds back first. Yes, I know I should've prepared the area before the soil.... but I was only planning to pick up some dwarf & intermediate varieties for a new bed that's all ready to go.... uh huh... ;-)

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

Thank you all so much for your help. Now this is what the pods look like now. They don't seem to be ready to crack or I can't hear any shaking inside. But they have been up quite a long time. How much longer do you estimate they may need?? (Of course, going on vacation next week.) Karen (liebran)

Thumbnail by liebran
Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

critterologist

In this heat it is better to pot them and water them daily until you see new growth and keep them in most to part shade. When bed is ready and it is cooler transfer them then. I usually keep my new ones potted until September then plant.

Karen - by the look of it (and I have been wrong lots of time but this looks like it might be a ballon pod. (one with no seeds). but it might surprise you. It looks like you have a stocking around the stem. pull it up and over the pod before leaving on vacation then you should not loos any seeds if there are any. Good Luck and have fun on vacation.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the tip... I was going to put the poor babies right out there! I'll pot them up instead... except for Nancy's purple ones... I'll pot up a few of them, but the rest are going to have to be planted out since there are so many! However, they're going toward the back of the bed where they get afternoon shade, so that should help, and I'll wait until we're out of triple digit temps!

I've got a bunch of daylilies that have been in pots for about 6 weeks, lots of new growth, so when the temps drop even a little (hopefully) later this week, they will go into their bed, and that will free up pots and space on the deck for my new iris!

Hey, Anita, were you at the FSK sale by the miniature iris table? LOL, I met a bunch of folks very quickly, didn't do a good job of pairing names & faces.... figured I'd get it straight at the picnic, but then found I wasn't able to attend. :-( I swear, I am going to make it to at least one iris society event this next year!! If you were there.... my real name is Jill, I've got long blonde hair, was probably wearing a bright pink hat and chatting about african violets as well as irises!

(sorry for going O/T there)

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL
I remember you
Yes I'm the one at the Dwarf table
I'll D-mail you the list of events
Anita

Des Plaines, IL

I guess everyone has their favorite way to grow iris seeds, so I'll throw in my two cents worth as I have grown quite a few in the past couple of years. I wait until the seed pod starts to separate then empty the pod onto a paper plate and leave them with plenty of air to circulate around them. After a couple of months (late Sep early Oct) I put them in some damp (not soggy) peat moss in a plastic zip lock bag in the refrig. I put the bag in the veggie bin and leave them there until about March. Sometimes you can see that they are starting to germinate already. I pot them up in small pots and try to find a nice light spot for them and grow them on until they are big enough to survive transplanting into a special bed (I use a bed that has more shade than I usuall use for iris) In this cold Chicago area climate I am afraid to put them outside for the winter. It will take two years in this climate to see them bloom, but what a thrill it is to see your creation. I love it!!!

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

well I have started the seeds that wes sent to me! I'll see what happens! I'm going to start them in doors until it cools down and then let then enjoy the cooler weater outside.. (if it ever comes)

It will be fun! lol

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Noell--what kind of Iris seeds are you starting?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.