Garden Magic, I just have to share.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Every morning and evening I have a hummingbird that plays in my pond fountain. I've never been able before this morning to get a photo.
I WANT A NEW CAMERA!

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Way cool! Love those hummers & your pond is lovely!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Wonderful pond - gorgeous. And you did indeed capture the hummer. Don't they just steal your heart?

I also want a new camera, but can't justify the cost. Wait. Maybe I can. DH is in the process of buying some new golf clubs that cost at least as much, if not more, than what I would have to pay for a darn good camera! Hmmmmmmmmmmm . . . wheels turning . . .

LOL Murmer. I can hear those wheels from here!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Great shot. I have about the worst "through the screen window" photo of a little hummer visiting my rail rider planters on the front porch. There are hot pink flowers there that he/she find attractive. The photo of each little square of the screen is not attractive to humans, however LOL.

Yesterday he/she was perched on the NON screen window side and I could have had a great shot of it perched on a rhodie branch, but no, I reached for the camera and Poof, the hummer was gone. they are so fun to watch and yours, KatyMac, looks absolutely delighted to play in the fountain!

murmur, You need to insist on the 'tit for tat' rule of household spending. "You get a new driver, I get a chipper shredder." "You get a new titanium graphite, super duper deluxe, ridiculously priced fairway wood, I get a new lawn tractor.." ( that was REALLY a good golf club! LOL) It's a great way to keep harmony within the household, but you lose a garden helper a lot on the weekends while they tear up nice grass in the name of golfing with said clubs. You can get a decent digital camera for just a couple hundred bucks nowdays. I say, don't wait too long. We want to see your photos.

I actually have a semi-decent camera, but it's about seven years old and there are ones out now that have a great zoom lens for less than what I paid for this one (it also has a few issues now that have spoiled a photo or two . . . am I just looking for reasons . . . could be, but oh well!).

AND, get this one . . . dh NEVER helps me in the garden so I can really milk that golf club/guilt thing a long ways (you apparently are married to a golfer - you know all about the expensive ones!!!). He did, however, get my favorite fountain going tonight so I must give him credit - lol (pic included).

Poochella, you need to hang your camera around your neck so you won't scare the little hummer off reaching for it!!!

Thumbnail by Murmur
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

since you are sharing thought I would share this with you

Thumbnail by eweed
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

mother at work

Thumbnail by eweed
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

two to a nest

Thumbnail by eweed
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

getting bigger by the day

Thumbnail by eweed
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

And then there was one

Thumbnail by eweed
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

look here is the runaway he later returned for the comfort of mom lol

Thumbnail by eweed
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Katy they hung around about four days after the second one soloed returning to the nest each night. Mom quit returning then poof the magic show was over. Hope you like my infringement of your thread just thought you may enjoy these.We have lots of hummers but this is a first for us and they can return anytime. I saved the nest and will put it back out next spring in hopes we can do this again. Ernie ps now headed to the rear lol

This message was edited Jul 6, 2006 11:36 PM

Thumbnail by eweed
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

My friend on the Woodlyn RD had a little nest of three teeny baby birds in the middle of her strawberries. You would move it and their tiny little mouths would open for mamma.

Eweed, outstanding bird pics!!!! You would have luaghed if you could have heard me going, "aaaaaaahhhhhhh" each time I looked at a new one! What kind of camera do you have?

Sorry to include a pic of a fountain - I was just so happy to have her running for the first time all year and also showing the ability of my camera . . . got carried away!

Lakebay, WA

My DH bought my daughter a digital camera for her birthday last December that even takes short video! Cost was $89 and then another $40 for a bigger memory chip. It's as good as the one my DH bought a few years ago for us and under 25% of the cost. Target I think he got hers at. And it has anti-shake smartness so I can actually take a photo and it won't blur.

Wow, Marion, that's quite the deal!

My biggest desire, though, is a really good zoom lens and so far I've not found such a thing without paying at least $300. This will be my third camera (if and when I actually buy one) and I hope to get exactly what I want.

My current camera, a Fuji, has been good and also has the short video capability (complete with sound which surprised the heck out of me).

eweed, I love your photos! You save the nests? And they return to them? How cool is that?
Poochella, I sympathize with not having the camera when you need it. And I have a lot of photos with the little screen squares in them. LOL
murmer, I bought this camera over five years ago in a pawn shop in Reno. I think I would mess up with anything fancier than "point and click". I'm watching the ads, never get to Reno anymore. LOL

Lakebay, WA

I have great pictures, not due to my skills as a photographer, but to my skills of coersion. "Someone go take a picture of that for me or dinner's going to be late!" :-D

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

cool pix eweed!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Katy I saved this nest and will put it back next year in hopes it will be reused. Blooms With a View told me hers was reused for three years but she remodled and tried to put it back where it was but missed because nothing came this year.

Murmur the camera is a Kodiak Easy Share CX7430 4.0 mega pixel. Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed

Ernie, you're very talented - and a double rainbow!!! How I love it the rare time that happens!!

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Ernie, so, do tell...how'd you get that lovely couple to nest on your welcome sign?? Could it be purely by chance?! They are so wonderful!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Tiff pure luck but about the couple, barnyard observations tell me at some act in this play there was a male involved. but the little mother did this all by herself from what we could tell.

Thumbnail by eweed

Oooo, eweed, gorgeous dog!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Katy ty yes that was Pete named for Sampras here is his replacement Andy named for roddick. He is checking the spuds for signs of garden thieves lol

LOL wish I could spell

This message was edited Jul 8, 2006 10:48 PM

This message was edited Jul 8, 2006 10:52 PM

Thumbnail by eweed

Hmm, I see a little furball. Could that be a dog? LOL

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

garden gaurd. Are your hummers still there we still have quite a few but I think they are starting to leave maybe they are just not as dependant on the feeders with all the bloom. Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Pete was handsome, indeed!

eweed, Are you training that new pup to do your garden work? I've tried but my dogs have trouble just digging out the bindweed and buttercups. They tend to be quite non-discriminating in their weeding techniques. Any pointers? (no pun intended, I know that they are goldens)

Yes, that's the expression of the contented puppy after a job well done! Ernie, no slacking of hummingbirds here. In fact, the grand old man of the garden is working overtime trying to keep the youngsters away from the feeders. They run him ragged, I think they just like teasing him as there are plenty of flowers too.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Earnie~ I had to look up Sampras and Roddick to know who they were named after:))
You really are fans! Linda told me you were while we were there. Obviously I'm not, AND still don't know squat about plants, as I didn't even know if you named them after plants or people LOL. I loved being able to help with the "training" of those gorgeous dogs.
Do you think it's too late to put out a HB feeder? I just found one in our garden stuff. I was going to put it through the dishwasher (and rinse again) and put the beverage in. What would be a good punch recipe for them? K~

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Directions for making safe hummingbird food
Mix 1 part sugar with 4 parts water and bring to a boil to kill any bacteria or mold present.
Cool and fill feeder.
Extra sugar water may be stored in a refrigerator.
Red dye should not be added.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I second that put it out maybe not to late have you see some even if not its funny how birds seem to find a feeder as soon as you fill it. The gold finches are never seen here untill the feeder is filled and as soon as it is empty shazam they are gone lol some loyality.

Karen yes and Gabby is short for her registered name Gabrelia sp lol Sabitini and Sweet Jenny is for Jeniffer Caparetti.

Katy LOL there is one here who tries to guard multiple feeders at the same time lol he is busy. Last year the mix was friendlier saw three and four at a single feeder several times but never with camera this year not even two. The wonder of nature indeed.

Thumbnail by eweed

That pup is stealing my heart. Did you lose Pete? You mentioned Andy was his "replacement."

The cat looks pretty patient - my cat that looks a lot like yours only more white, wouldn't put up with that for one second!!!!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

we never can keep every thing we love forever but we can keep the memories.

This is Gabby she was Petes buddy she forced us to get Andy because she went on a hunger strike and cried and cried for him. Instantly after Andy came she was 5 years younger.

Today is a good day there are a couple three ripe tomatoes out side and a bunch more changing color soon it will be tomatoes every where how about the rest of you . Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed

Precious story - thanks for sharing it!!!!!! And I know we can't keep those which we love forever, but it doesn't stop us from grieving, now, does it?

Great dogs!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the punch recipe..I'll try it out. My grandfather use to be the Hummingbird King in Marblemount.
Ernie~
Andy is still after that cat...LOL.... And that cat won my heart when she bit me because I wasn't doing what SHE wanted:) You have a great family out there....Did you say the tomatoes are getting red???? Hmmmmm.....10-15 minutes away, you and Linda work days, the dogs know me, kinda..... I wonder???.......Karen~
PS..Tell Linda I'm looking up what evil insect could have eaten her flower.
PSS.....How are the sweet little bunnies doing?::>))
PSSS...Here's the beautiful stinky flower I was telling Linda about.

Thumbnail by somermoone

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.