This one I think I am going to love. I hope.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

These are my purple dats, and my first buds. I am watching these closely.

Thumbnail by MyRee

Another one:

Thumbnail by MyRee

I have all my dats in pots with a few other flowers with them. I guess if the dats don't shine the others may.

Thumbnail by MyRee

This is the south side of my driveway, I just finished it. It was a horrible mess so pots is the way I went.

Thumbnail by MyRee

Well, that one is fuzzy, I don't know if this one is any better:

Thumbnail by MyRee

This is my baby today, not much change.

Thumbnail by MyRee
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh boy...can't wait to see that one :)

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Gorgeous display MyRee. Congratulations! Please keep posting pictures. Your purple Dats will be stunning!

Erick

This is my Purple Dat this evening. Opening up very beautifully. Can anyone tell me the name? I grew it from seed.

Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Marie, how tall is your plant? Seems to be a pretty good size. Congratulations!! Good for you.

Jeanette

Jeanette, This plant is around 2.5' tall. Here is the bloom this evening. I love the shape and the purple but the white is rather brownish. I don't know why, I am letting up on the watering and fertilizing. We will see when the next blooms come out.

Thumbnail by MyRee

This is up close showing the color better. It just isn't the white that I expected. My yellow ones are doing the same thing.

Thumbnail by MyRee

I am watching these yellow to see how they do.

Thumbnail by MyRee
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Marie, that is really unusual. I'll bet Clare in California could tell you the problem. She grows a lot of Dats and is very knowledgable. Other than the brownish instead of white, they are beautiful. They are anyway.

How many buds do you have on your plant?

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I forgot to tell you that I have a couple that are budded and I think they are the same thing. The Purple and White Swirl or Current. Should be interesting.

I will have to send you pictures.

Jeanette

Jeanette,
I would love to see your pictures. How do you tell the difference between the purple and white swirl and the Current? The stems on my plants look almost black, is that an indication?

I have 3 purples and each one has 6 buds. I am hoping this brownish color will clear itself up, but is Clare from California is out there please help.

Marie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Marie, I don't know how to tell the difference between those you named. I THINK the difference between those and the lighter ones like the tripple yellow are the dark stems and leaves versus the lighter ones.

You might want to go into the addy exchange and email Clair.

Jeanette

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Marie, have your yellow blossoms opened yet:? Have been waiting to see them. Are the purple and whites still brown? Mine aren't near opening yet. They are still getting taller every day. Almost 4 feet tall now and to add to that, they are in a raised bed that adds another foot and a half to them. Very interesting. I may not be able to get a very good picture if they don't quit getting taller.

Jeanette,
I have been having fun with the camera. My purple dats are giving me a show. I haven't taken pictures of the yellows in a while, waiting for a few more buds to open.
I love this picture. I have taken many of the purple and white

Thumbnail by MyRee

another....

Thumbnail by MyRee

My goodness, I love this.... I do believe this is my favorite picture so far. Marie

This message was edited Jul 14, 2006 11:03 PM

Thumbnail by MyRee

How much fun am I having?????????????? Loads!

Thumbnail by MyRee

This is the last one. I will take pictures of the yellow when the next one blooms. The colors are more true to what I have thought they should be, much less brown to them.
When I have a bit more time I am going to post to the photo forum with some of my other flowers.
I must tell you, "I AM HAVING A BLAST!" sorry about the shouting, but I have to do it somewhere.
Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Marie, your pictures are lovely. What kind of camera did you get? It really takes nice clear pictures.

Jeanette

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

albeit white, yellow or purple datura are in the same family Datura metel the flowers can either be single, double, thriple or quadruple in form. why they do that i never really ventured in finding out. i just grow them.

white D. metel is known as "Alba" http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/50026/

yellow D. metel is commonly known as "Golden Queen" http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54666/index.html, http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8QZMmjhwzZsRG¬ag=1

purple is D. metel, aka Black Currant Swirl" http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/49910/

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

MaVie, your pictures are gorgeous. The shutterfly was the only one, oh and the black currant Swirl, were the only ones that would open for me. Don't know why but they are all lovely. I have about a half a dozen growing and I think they are all going to be purple but one and it is probably a yellow.

2 are in a raised bed and almost 4 feet tall from the soil level, Then one is in a big cedar pot with coleus growing all around it. And the rest are in just 6 inch pots. All seem to be doing good but I think the sun or shade mean a lot to how these grow also.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Jnette,
all links work, i do not know why u are having problem. i double check each link prior to posting.

yes, they are all lovely and fragrant too. u are right, sun exposures makes a difference too. those expose in scorching sun will only last a day or two... whereas if they are partly in the shade, blooms last even longer.

as u know, i have difficulty explaining, but i will try. the roots of datura, one of the main root, goes straight down the earth core, it can be as long as how tall the plant is. the other side roots do, go sideways in smaller portions. i believe the root system is this way cuz of the strong winds in the desert. Mother Nature designed Dat. metels's root system the way they are to withstand the strongest winds that could possibly topple the plant down.

well if u got coleum growing with ur dats, then u got to water them more than normal, based on personal observation. coleus are also strong water drinker. i hope u are not fertilizing them, cuz i don't.

try refreshing or rebooting ur system, that could be the problem.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sorry I didn't correct myself. They just took longer. When I was doing something else they popped up. Absolutely beautiful. Love that double white one MaVie.

I have 2 growing in with other plants in a raised bed that are fertilized and they really are doing better than the others. Big thick strong stems and a lot of buds. Maybe they don't need the fertilizer but perhaps they like a little lunch now and then. LOL

Jeanette and MaVieRose, Thankyou for your comments and for the beautiful pictures and explainations of the dats. Mine are looking very beautiful and I am enjoying them very much. I already have plans for next years garden. (I am sure I am not alone on that.)

I do have a question, Do dats bloom in waves? Mine seem to be opening almost all at once and I can't see many buds to replace them.

I am back to work after almost 4 months off. I only work 3 days a week, but they are long days. I come home rather exhausted, make dinner, 'sometimes', go out and water all the flower pots, check my vegetable garden then colapse. By this time it is dark and time to get ready for the morrow. Oh, I do take some time to give hugs and loves to my grandson. I have rather neglected DG. I slip in once in a while to check progress of the various threads I am watching.

Oh, I almost forgot, The camera is a Kodak 'EasyShare' Z740. My daughter bought it just before her son was born and I believe I use it more than she does. My sweetheart has a very nice camera but I am reluctant to use it. I am still reading up on how to use all the modes.

I do enjoy reading the comments you both have given others and the threads you have started. I will keep reading and jump in and give a comment once in a while.

I have been having fun with various pictures, I like this one although it is not of a dat.

Happy Gardening, Marie

Thumbnail by MyRee
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sounds like you have a very heavy schedule for only 3 days a week. Don't know how you garden.

That is a pretty rose. Jump in when you can Marie.

Jeanette

BTW, my dats still have not bloomed. Lots of buds but nothing open yet.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hmmm, nice pics! I have seed of a triple yellow and double purple not yet sown! I don't suppose it's a bad time to start them for next year's show!

I'm drooling over that purple one. I do have a single white which is simple and beautiful, and anotehr I grew from seed last year just budding called datura meteloides. I don't know how this relates to D metel, anyone know?

I can answer that myself! I looked in my RHS plantfinder book, D metel is one species, D meteloides says see D inoxia, so they are different.

Jeanette and Wallaby,
I am drooling over the purple ones myself. I have 4 purple and white that have been giving me a show. I love it. I have several white ones that I have transplanted into pots that are not blooming yet, they came from the one I had last year, I had several seed pods that I just left on the ground last fall. They are slower to sprout than the ones I started indoors this spring. The ones still in the ground are smaller than the ones I transplanted into the pots. Once they start to bloom It will be a sight for the eyes. My yellow one is doing better but is not at all like the purple.

In zone 8a do you overwinter outdoors? Mine would be dead, dead, dead if I started now and left them outdoors, and as of yet I don't have a greenhouse.

Well, it is after midnight. So sleep tight all. Marie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Marie, my purple one has at least 10 buds on it but not open yet. I have never seen one with as thick a stalk on it. Unfortunately it is in a raised bed so will be kind of hard to see when they all start blooming. But should be pretty.

I am going to start taking pictures tomorrow. The biggest bud, the first one at the first Y, is about 4 inches now. It really is fascinating to watch them grow. I think I am going to tie it up 'cause the raised bed planting area is not very deep and I surely would hate to have it go over for lack of soil to anchor in.

Jeanette

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

After reading Jnette's post, I have a question. Do Daturas have to form a "Y" like a Brug in order to start setting buds?

MyRee, I kept mine inside over winter but they may be hardy in the right spot if we had a mild winter, last winter was to -9C and prolonged cold.

The one which has flowered already did branch out to a 'Y' after and has made more 'Y's with more buds, they seem to develop like peppers and keep multiplying branches with blooms at every branch. This plant was one a friend got cheap while in Cornwall on holiday, it had a seed pod on it and he grew them from those.

My own D meteloides has grown a little taller from last years stick and has a few buds on, still in it's pot but should go in the ground, with this heat we're having they love it. I will probably take a cutting later and leave it in the ground and mulch it.

This is the no name one, it does look like the D meteloides, I had a couple of flowers on it late last year.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The first flower has already made a seed pod about 1" or more across.

This is the whole plant

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The seed pod

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok Marie, here are a couple of pictures of my Datura. The orange spot on the top of the bud is a nasturtium. Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Here is another. I wish my Brugs looked this good. It has almost 12 buds on it. Jeanette

BTW, it is going to be a purple and white swirl of some kind. Don't know if it is a Metal. I had several different ones.

Thumbnail by Jnette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.