Do you need fresh seeds?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Do you need fresh seeds to wintersow? Where do you get fresh seed in December? Or is the leftover packaged seed from 2006 okay? I guess if they're good enough to sell at Value Seed they must be good enough to WS? I'm going to do it this winter!

xxxxx, Carrie

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

There are some seed that germinate better when fresh, but leftover packaged seed from 2006 should be just fine. I'm still using some seeds from 2001, and doing OK. Couple of years back, I sowed some aster crego seeds that were 10 years old; didn't get 100% germination, but they did quite well enough.

Just store the seed properly -you know, cool and dry, etc., etc.

PV

Lilburn, GA

Some people even store seeds in the fridge, to keep them fresh.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

It also depends on type of plant. If you have old seed just plant more because the germination rate does go down. I buy bulk seed and use it for years, depending on the type of plant. But I agree 2006 seed should be fine.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So I can WS the entire cool and dry box of seeds I've been saving since 1999 (?) and onward, and just expect poorer germination for the older seed. I only want one or two of most things, anyway! Thanks, guys.

xxxxx, Carrie

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What is the best method for storing seeds? My fridge is very humid, so I don't think that would be a good place. But we don't air condition all season long, so the house can get hot. Freezer? Basement (which is humid and none too cool). Dessicant?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Shoe boxes and those dessicant packets that come with new shoes works for me. Index cards with "A" through "Z" written on them inside the box helps to keep your seeds organized. I store my box of seeds in my basement closet until such time that I need them for sowing.

I have read that seeds can be stored in your refigerator's vegetable crisper compartment, but I wouldn't put them in the freezer. Again, I would always utilize the dessicant packets whenever possible.

I have also germinated old seed from 2000 onward. I can't say that I've gotten 100% germination, but even 50% is better than nothing!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Did I mention that my "entire cool and dry box of seeds I've been saving since 1999 (?) and onward" was cleaned up / thrown away by a well-meaning visiting nurse? I've been slowly replacing them with Exciting Perennials and Value Seed and soon, SASBEs.

xxxxx, Carrie :-)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh dear! I'm sure the visiting Nurse meant well. Gardeners are always more than willing to give packets of seeds away, end-of-the season seeds sales at stores & via the Internet,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.