What is this and what can I do?

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I've been fighting with lily beetles all summer but suddenly the ones that were free of the beetles and slimy larvae opened like this!! The lily beetle ones are okay, so I know this is another problem. Any ideas? This bed only has lilies and white phlox-hate to lose them all.

Thumbnail by boojum
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Looks like big time botrytis. The fungus splashes up from the ground when it rains or you water. Your bulbs should be ok next year. I'll let someone else recommend a spray as I don't have that part perfected LOL. I did use a sulfur spray but by that time the infection (and rain) had passed.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Its botrytis. Spray ASAP with baking powder or baking soda. Go read the http://www.plantlilies.com At least I think that is url. If it isn't go to valley K and get to plantlilies from there.

The spray recipe is there.

What a disaster for you.

Yuo should be able to save your other lilies though if you spray quickly.

The greeen leaf on RH side of your picture is getting it too.

Got it.
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp dish soap
1 quart water
spray leaves both sides and the ground.
Will do tomorrow. Never stops raining here.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's what I spray on my Phlox to keep off powdery mildew. Wonder if there is any relationship, since the lilies and Phlox are in the same bed? Works great on Lilacs also. Monarda too. I spray early in the spring, and never have any problem.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Polly, have you had this on lilies before?

Polly I had just decided to try it on my phlox! They usually get mildew in Aug, but because it is always raining, they had mildew in June!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Polly ~ I have problems with the same 4 plants that you listed. They are related in that molds, mildew and fungi like the same conditions to in which to proliferate; moisture and poor air circulation.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Neal, I have never had any problems with my lilies of any sort-- other than my color combinations. I had a bright pink and orange together last year, and divided up the bulbs. They were so intertwined I was afraid I was going to get the same combo this year, and I did.

Anyway, my lilies, monarda, phlox and lilacs are in all my borders, so in mid spring or so, I go thru and spray everything with the baking soda mix. I use Ivory Snow dish detergent, and about a teaspoon of horticultural oil. I spray it on using a MiracleGro sprayer, and just do the whole bed. I might have a little mildew on the phlox late, but not much. I just spray everything, figure that mix won't hurt anything, hopefully including the insects. And all my plants get plenty of moisture, I water overhead, and they are jam packed in there.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This is the first year I've seen it. But, I've gone on a rampage to improve air circulation and removed all the nasty stuff and sprayed well. I have to be extra careful in this shadowy hollow with a creek running through it- the fungus is always among us, lol. I've seen fungi since I've lived in the woods that I'd never seen before. My tendency to cram everything in is being curbed, that's for sure.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Horticultural oil??? What's wrong with cooking oil, canola or whatever.
G

Sprayed today with no oil at all. Hope I saved the orienpets and orientals.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Inanda- I use Horticultural Oil in my nursery as a sticking agent and it does control some pests. I would assume any cooking oil would be good for this application. Just helps the mixture stick. The Horticultural Oil I use controls aphids, so it says. While not hurting ladybugs, bees etc.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Oh. OK. Thanks for clarifying this. All I could think of was spraying for scale??? On lilies?

I do have a 'cottage garden' I suppose you might call it, with diff. ornamentals, but mainy concentrate on iris and lilium.
inanda

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Inanda, there are many different kinds of horticultural spray. I use dormant, and Sunspray. The Sunspray does say it is effective on powdery mildew, along with aphids.

I did find a recipe for the baking soda mix that says 1 tbsp per gallon of olive oil for a sticking agent. In addition to helping the mix to stick, oils applied at the right density will smother the small insects, such as aphids, mites etc., without hurting the larger insects.

So Boojum, when you make the mix again, I would add a tbsp of the olive oil.

Polly

How continental! But of course any excuse for olive oil.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I always use ivory. Will try oil with next watering can full. Thanks for the tip.
G

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Question: Does this have to be resprayed if the foliage gets wet? I have some isolated areas of virus, I have sprayed, but the leaves tend to get wet when I water.

My lilies dried after I sprayed and it rained the next day. But they really look a lot better today, more vital. I figured I'd repeat this every 10 days or so for good measure.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

BP spray you redo after every rain. Royal pain but that is only way.
inanda

Spring Park, MN(Zone 4a)

Anybody know if there is a reason for using Ivory or Dreft, as in soap, vs. a dish detergent? I need to do this today and all I have around is Palmolive. Sure would appreciate your input. First it was the phlox and I had never had powdery mildew out there, now it looks like the lilies are starting. I used just a milk and water solution on the phlox and that slowed it down a lot, but need to take serious action on the lilies. Thanks!
Lily

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Those 2 are recommended because they're mild, but you can use just about anything. All you're after is the surfactant quality it adds to the solution.

Spring Park, MN(Zone 4a)

Thanks, Moby. I'm outta here with sprayer in hand.

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Do you have to respray every time it rains?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.