Wintersown Blooms in July

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

A few more wintersown beauties are blooming in July. What did you wintersow that is blooming this month?

Here is Salpliglossis (an annual).

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Ibicella lutea, which is semi-carnivorous. Little did I know when I sowed this seed, that it is also called "Devil's Claws" or "Unicorn Plant". You can read more about here. http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5720.html Thankfully, I planted it a container and NOT in my garden.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Another beautiful bloom on Petunia, 'Dolce Flambe'.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Salvia, 'May Night'

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Snapdragon, Dwarf Mix

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Way to go, Shirley! That's a nice color on the painted tongue. Did you HOS those??

Going to read about your 'Unicorn Plant' ....

PV

Thanks PV. All the blooms you see here are thanks to wintersowing!

Ibicella lutea is a very interesting plant, but definitely NOT one to let loose in your garden. It will get "the axe" at the end of this growing season.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

great pics Shirley!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Great pics. So many interesting flowers to WS!

I have a few pics to add...

Cosmos 'psyche'

Thumbnail by tabasco

And in this pic, if you look closely you can see my tassel flower, ratibida, rudbeckia hirta 'prairie sun' and cosmos 'lady bird'. These were lots of fun to grow together.

Thumbnail by tabasco

And I wish I had planted more of these pale pink cosmos among my oriental lilies. They make a wonderful combination.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Ver nice Tabasco..makes your notes for next year.

Sooo pretty, tabasco! Your wintersown plants are all blooming beautifully!

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

tabasco, I am green with envy over that white Cosmos "Psyche". Two years in a row I have had dismal results with the white "Sonata". Ditto with the pale yellow "Yellow Garden" cosmos. I don't know why. It seems the only Cosmos which does well for me is C. sulphureus (the brilliant orange "Sunset" and Sunrise").

thanks missgarney, this is the first year I have had good luck with Cosmos, too, and I am going to try again next WS season for sure. They were great fillers-- and I especially liked the cosmos 'lady bird' mix--red and orange similar to your 'sulphurus',

I am making and editing WS seed lists for next year. Promised myself to plant fewer (but choice) varieties and fewer seeds and try to be more organized. I bought some plastic pots from the dollar store today on close-out for my seed operation next winter too.

I wintersowed lots of digitalis and campanulas but I don't have blooms from them yet this season. they look very healthy and I hope they make it through the winter!

Beachwood, OH

tabasco - very pretty cosmos! esp wi the lily.
I sowed the Seashells mix which so far looks exactly like regular cosmos - we'll see I guess. They came in very short - must be the sun, no need to stretch.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.