Coneflower forum

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think there is enough interest in coneflowers(echinacea, rudbeckia and ratibida) to support it's own forum. The new varieties have increased the growing and discussion of them.

Al

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

I second this... no coneflowers this year, but boy, when we get moved... I won't be able to get enough!1
Janis

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, please Dave! Thanks Al...gee, just look at all the color variation on this one plant. We could talk for hours.
Debbie

This message was edited Jul 2, 2006 2:39 PM

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Good idea.

Lilburn, GA

I am interested as well. :o)

Stephenville, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL Debbie--we COULD talk for hours! Especially when we get those freaky double and triple flower heads growing together. So are all the blooms in your pic on the same plant, or are they a demonstration of the variation within that plant variety?

I'm for a coneflower forum. I grow all three that Al mentioned.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Cherokee sunset is probably my favorite of the 'soft' rudbeckia, although my Autumn Colors did overwinter here.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Debbie, what is the name of the flowers that you posted? Echinaces or rudbeckia?

Maxine

Zeeland, MI

I played with the combo of Echinacea 'Coconut Lime' and 'Pink Double Delight today. What do you think? Any suggestions on some other good combonations?

This one the two of them are next to some Peroskia (Russian Sage)

Thumbnail by Christabelle
Zeeland, MI

I also put them by an Iris, I thought the different textures worked well together.

Thumbnail by Christabelle
Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Doies anyone know if the newer cultivars will come true from seed? I got a Kim's Mophead and love it. I've let it go to seed but didn't know what to expect...thanks nancy

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm new to Coneflowers so I don't know about the seed coming true.. but I was attracted to the pretty flower & I don't have to dig it every year... I think this is Summer Sky... can someone confirm? Oh, Yes, a Coneflower forum would be great!

Thumbnail by AuntB
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Nancy from the Flower Factory told me that they are not true to seed, at least none of the orange ones are. Maybe Christabelle will help us out on that one too.

Zeeland, MI

Nancy (who is extremely knowledgeable and answered so many of my questions while I visited) is correct. They are not true to seed.

I would guess you are correct that the Echinacea you posted is Summer Sky. I can tell from the flower in the upper left hand side of the screen. That flower is more accurate to Summer Sky's description.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

It is the same plant, still in the nursery pot, I will plant it once it cools this month. The color does give off blueish/lavendar hues, so pretty.

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Good idea Al, there are soooo many different types to learn about and I would love to see that forum here.

Margaret, megan, meg, Laf

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh, in case I didn't mention it, I'm all for the coneflower forum.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi Meg,Margaret,Meagan

Maxine - Debbie's flower is a rudbeckia Cherokee Sunset. I have it and could save you seeds - it flowers the same year as seeded.

Glad to see we are getting some support.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Count me in Al!

AL...
What a Fantastic idea!
Count me in also, I would love to see a coneflower forum.

Thumbnail by
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I think if Al posts a photo of himself wearing a conehead - that might be the final thing that will convince Dave to give the green light. Shows real dedication.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

We're here waiting for that conehead, Al. Give Dave a reason to grant us our wish......

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

Pretty please on the conehead Al.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2007 10:02 PM

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

count me in - I'm becoming addicted to coneflowers.

Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Me too! Coneflowers have become another addiction and I was just wishing there was a coneflower forum on Dave's. :)

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Coneflowers would be on my Watch List!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes please. :) There are so many new ones, a place to compare notes on them would be very helpful, not to mention feeding a few peoples addictions like mine. LOL.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I would like it too.

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Even my husband loves our new sunny garden filled with coneflowers. I say a big please for a coneflower forum.

Thumbnail by buckimom
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Me too. That's a huge part of my garden.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

I would love to see a coneflower forum. I have a lot of coneflowers and am starting to get some different varieties. Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

This coneflower is called "Hope". % of the proceeds go to breast cancer research.

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb

These are coneflowers that I do not know the name of?? Eleanor

Thumbnail by grammyphoeb
Denton, TX(Zone 7b)

Eleanor, love your photo of Hope...so glad I have it on order. Maybe someone can ID the other one....so beautiful.

Whitehall, PA(Zone 6a)

Good idea Al, Count me in!

I have three echinaceas- regular old purple, and new this year are 'white swan' (baby plant, no blooms yet) and 'sunrise' (only a couple of blooms so far). I have seen many more on this site that I would love to have. Christabelle- I really like the combo you posted photos of.

I have one unidentified rudbeckia and two baby 'goldsturm's. I have requested 'cherokee sunset' in one of my seed trades. Al- what do you mean when you call it a 'soft' rudbeckia?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I'd like a coneflower forum too! Good idea!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Where can I order that gorgeous Hope Coneflower?

And count me in as one who would enjoy a Coneflower forum.

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

I'd really enjoy a coneflower forum.

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Me, too. : )

~Lucy

Murmur - I got my Hope from a local garden nursery. I looked it up in Plant Scout and it can be purchased from Garden Crossings along with a lot of other varieties!!!! I think I'll be ordering some from there.

Question - I have never ordered plants on-line before as we have at least 7 nurseries in our area. Can plants be ordered and planted in late summer or fall, or do you have to wait until spring????? Eleanor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.