Best Blueberry variety for Southern NH?

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi,
I'd like to use high bush blueberry plants as a border in my yard. I'm just not sure of the best variety that will be most productive and bear larger fruit. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :). There area I want to plant in is on the edge of the woods, a border strip 100'x10'. I plan on laying down weedblock and mulch to keep the woods separated from the lawn. I thought it would be cool to have a line on blueberry plants, we love blueberries. Maybe some rasberries too.
Dave

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

Why stick with one variety? Blueberries do better with at least 2 varieties to cross pollinate from, so if you're going for a full hedge anyway, why not mix & match? That would give you a longer growing season and lots of good pollination.

For aesthetics, though, look out for the evergreen varieties (I know of at least one - Misty) and either avoid them or space them evenly for a better look during the winter.

When I planted my 'hedge' (it's a bit too spaced-out to be a real hedge as yet - gotta get a few more bushes), I got one each of 9 different varieties. I just put them in this past spring, so I haven't gotten a harvest yet, but if the literature is to be believed, I should get a good 3 months or more of continous berries.

Hudson, NH(Zone 5a)

BackyardZoo...what varieties did you plant, all high bush? It does make sense to plant different ones. I'd like to have some gaps in-between so we can get through them into the wooded area. Did you buy on-line or at a nursery? Thanks for your suggestions :).
Dave

Eastham, MA

I ordered several high bush blueberries from Nourse Farms in South Deerfield MA last year for a hedge around my vegetable garden. They are all thriving. I planted two each of Northland,Patriot,Jersey and Elliot. Nourse Farms has wonderful feedback in the Garden Watchdog. Good luck keeping the birds off them though lol.

Lynne

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

I'd have to dig out my records for them all - and I got most of them from Raintree - good sized plants. Lets see...best I can recall are:

Misty
Bluecrop
Chandler
Rubel
Brigitta
Legacy
Patriot
and 2 other 'cheap' ones from Lowes

The Misty & Rubel actually produced a few berries this year. I planted them in a line from the 'earliest' to the 'latest' (or as best as I could tell), so that my ripening season should travel along the hedge :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.