WS Retrospective

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

The rain and winds of last week have taken their toll on my garden. While waiting for things to recover, I thought I'd share some of the plants that I've grown over the last several years with the winter-sowing method. They sure cheer me up right now - hope you enjoy them too.

PV

Thumbnail by PVick
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

And a few more:

Thumbnail by PVick
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

PV, you embarrass me! I've decided my containers were too shallow and I planted too deeply to boot! I only ending up planting a few hardy survivors. What's your secret(s)? Planting soil, containers, etc.?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

PV: CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!! What a gorgeous kaleidoscope of colored blooms! Well done!! A true testiment to Wintersowing! What are some of the varieties that you have featured?

KatyMac: Don't give up!!! The same thing happened to me one year where my containers were to shallow & the soil dried up to quickly which caused me to loose a lot of seeds/seedlings! Do you have 1 gallon or 1/2 gallon containers for juice, milk, water, and/or soda? If so, you can till sow seeds. You'll be able to plant them out (depending on the variety) in later Summer/early Fall. Also, add a few polymer crystals to the soil (like Miracle Grow or Promix), which will also prevent the soil from drying out to much. Put your sown containers in a partly sunny location (preferrably morning), so that they don't over heat and get cooked. You will achieve success, so please keep trying!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Those are georgeous PV!!!! Well done!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

fabulous collages! I would have them made into posters! Congratulations on your WS success--

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.