"Red Palm" from Puerto Rico - Where does it come from?

Toa Alta, PR

A popular, but expensive "red palm" was used by my landscape designer around my swimming pool, and front yard. I have not been able to find its scientific name, or location of origen.
It seems to be in the areca family, except that it grows strictly vertical, and has many more sprouts at the base that first turn down into the soil, then turn erect to make a new stem. It flowers and produces seeds much less than the arecas, and the seeds are small (size of a pea) and dark when ripe. The striking feature is that the main trunk is dark green, and the entire petiole is dark chinese red. The leaflets are also dark green.

Does anyone know this palm?

Thumbnail by PhilipSpecht
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That is Cyrtostachys renda, or Lipstick Palm. Not sure what part of Asia it's from, but pretty sure it's Asian. Very tropical in its needs (can hardly survive anywhere in the mainland US save maybe the Florida Keys). Prize landscaping palm and considered by some to be the most beautiful palm in the world.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA(Zone 10a)

I agree with palmbob, truly an awesome palm to see. From what I've read they tend to suffer and die once temperatures reach 50 degrees F and lower. The humidity is important for them to thrive as well. You can see them in some conservatories in California, the Huntington Library in Pasadena, CA has a nice specimen, but you wont find them in the ground outside here in Calfornia. Puerto Rico however should be no problem.

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I am SO envious. What a gorgeous display of lipstick palms! I have just one I keep next to my pool, and it is (sadly) confined to pot. There are about 15 - 20 nights it has to come indoors during the winter. It is definitely one of the most striking palms, so I put up with its demanding temperature requirements. How I wish it grew well outdoors here though. If it did I'd have a yard full of them.

Chris

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

they originate in malaysia and Borneo. gets tall eventually. very beautiful clump you have there.

Toa Alta, PR

Thank you all for the information. I shall be sure to water them well during the dry spells, as I have noticed that the tend to drop leaves when the soil gets dry.

I am enclosing another picture of the front of the house, where the soil is apparently very well suited for these palms. They were planted at six feet high in November 1998; you can see that they are still growing up and sending up little ones around the side of the clump. So far, only two plants have developed flowers, and only one has produced seeds. I do not know if it would be easy to raise them from seeds. We were warned to not tro try to separate off a little plant from the side, as this might kill the main plant.

Thumbnail by PhilipSpecht
Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

I have not personally tried to start them from seed. However, a grower in south FL has said they can be difficult. They like high heat and humidity to germinate. Once germinated the struggle is apparently not over. Seedlings are very susceptible to minor changes in temperature. A little too hot, they die. A little too cold, they die. Sounds like they get more hardy as they age. Although they are still too cold sensitive for most of FL. Anyone trying to grow them outdoors can use a fungicide called dithane or mancozeb that will extend their cold hardiness. Mine has been subjected to 45 F on a few occassions with no ill effects. Granted that doesn't sound impressive, but without it they are said to be damaged or even perish at temps below 60 F.

Any decent paying jobs for me in PR?

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Those are pretty palms.... This thread just illustrates the wide variety and range of growing conditions that plants in this family will tolerate. While, as most have said, these lipstick palms will die from temps below 50, I have one type of palm that NEEDS cold winter weather to survive (T. takil), and it will die in southern Florida and warmer areas.....

Still, I think palms of any type are pretty.

BTW, what's that tree in between your lipstick palm clumps? Is that a tree fern of some kind?

This message was edited Jul 5, 2006 12:31 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.