When to pick plums?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My tree didn't bloom or fruit again this year, although it's getting large.

A friend of mine just called to say the old trees at her new place are loaded with plums... sounds like they might be european rather than japanese type plums.

When should plums be picked? Should they be allowed to partly or completely ripen on the tree, or should they be picked while still firm? And is the advice the same for picking Japanese plums and pluots (which I have, although the young trees haven't bloomed or fruited yet)?

I did a search in this forum, but couldn't find the answer, so my apologies if it's been asked & answered here numerous times before.

Thanks!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

For best flavor, I prefer to pick all stone fruits when they are ripe, but before they get soft. They don't gain sugars afetr picking. When they are fully colored and remove easily from the tree with a slight twist.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Farmerdill! I copied that and emailed it to my friend, then bookmarked for future reference... clear & concise!

:-)

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

I have a 20 year old Santa Rosa Plum and this is what I do. I get a brown paper shopping bag...open it up under each bursting branch and shake. Which ever plums fall into the bag are ready to eat, can, freeze, etc. Mostly they come in all at once in numbers around 300+ but they tend to be most excellent when a gentle twist releases them from the tree. I go out every day and shake...not hard... just gentle like...then preserve as needed.

We are getting ready to retire...hopefully in Sebastapol CA and the first two things I will plant in the new garden is another Santa Rosa Plum and a Pluot tree!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow, that plum tree sounds wonderful! I know you'll miss it when you move.... but it's fun to plan a new garden, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.