Cottage Gardens

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Here we go, here's a picture of one of my 'works in progress'. Wish I had a white picket fence!

Thumbnail by fly_girl
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What a beautiful garden! The rocks are to die for! It looks very natural and calm.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

It is so lovely. I have yet to get the hang of spacing and clustering plants in lovely groupings. Taking some hints away.. :)

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Ditto on the rocks! The bunny's cute, too. What different types of plants to you have growing in it?

Debra

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Great Job! Your bed is beautiful! When are you coming over to start mine? LOL!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

You have this bed in shade any beds in the TX sun you have there? With the good job you did there I would love to see a sun bed with the palnts you pick!

Cedar Hill, TX

That is gorgeous! The blues look so cool and refreshing. How much sun does your garden get? I also love your bunny and bet our bunnies would be great friends. There are so many things you can do with a cottage garden and it's great to see the pictures. Thanks for starting this thread!

Thumbnail by ohsusanna

Thanks everyone!

Mitch, the bed gets morning shade and sun the rest of the day.

Some of the plants are:
Angelonia, verbena, chives, butterfly weed, purple coneflowers, purple fountain grass, hibiscus, shrub rose, russellia, zinniza, plumbago,and sage.

Ohsus, love your rabbit and her gardening attire.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

My daisies, zinnias and marilgolds are getting eaten up by the goldfinches around here. As soon as they start setting seeds, the goldfinches get them. Hope they leave some of the daisy seeds for next summer.

Oh, but isn't it worth it? Those goldfinches are so pretty. We get them here in the winter.

Here's a picture of one of my glads

Thumbnail by fly_girl
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Fly that is beautiful! I love glads. My Mother has pink, peach, yellow, and white ones. I just have to plan a garden spot for them. I don't have a one. I need to plan it for some lattice so the glads can be tied up. They fall over so easily. The blooms stay on so long.

Lin

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I used to plant glads too but they toplled. Fly_Girl, what is your secret?

Lowe's has these green metal stakes that have a loop with an opening at the top. When you stick them by the plant they hardly show.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Aha! Pretty smart.

Thank ya, did you do fireworks? I'm watching the Twilight Zone marathon, I lead a pretty exciting life!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

A Twilight Zone marathon sounds delightful. I love those old shows (and anything else a little creepy).

No fireworks for me.....just finished "Memoirs." And, thanks to you lovely ladies' recommendations, I purchased "The Bonesetters Daughter" and " The Hundred Secret Senses." I needed reading material for my vacation next week. I am so very ready.

Are you getting plants ready for the RU? I've started cuttings of everything. Matter of fact, as soon as I finish this post I'm going to start a new thread in Garden Talk regarding cuttings. I think it would be nice to have everyone list what they know will grow from cuttings and the best way to root in order to share their knowledge. Personally, I'm trying many things that I have no idea if they will succeed or not. What do you think?

These Black-Eyed Susans come up from seed every year, even through the mulch.

Thumbnail by fly_girl
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I have blackeyed susans come up volunteer in lots of places here. Somehow some seeds got dropped in a pot I have on the front porch and now I have them blooming. They look funny because the pot is rather small. They are really too tall for this pot. I will save the seeds from it.
Lin

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

those black eyed susans are beautiful!

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I love them too. ;) Such a cheery flower.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi there Fly.

Been looking at your pics and I gotta say I love your garden. Really nice. Keep us all posted and pictured.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Fly, your stuff is beautiful! More pics please! I love those Black Eyed Susans.

knolan, how are you rooting your cuttings? I need to start things but I'm so busy with kids home for the summer. I think I'd forget them anyway so I'm going to wait a little while. Do you use the green floral foam? I am trying to root a cutting of my yellow butterfly bush in the foam. No roots so far but it's standing up tall so that's a good sign.

I've been watching the Twilight Zone marathon some too. I tivo'd about 8 shows. I used to watch them when I was a kid with my dad. It took me many years, but when I was in my 30's somewhere I realized that I always slept with the covers over the exposed side of my face not only because cold air hurt my throat, but because I started that after watching "Talking Tina" on Twilight Zone!! LOL It was about a doll that was alive and the girl could not get rid of her. eeekkk!!!

I swear Jaws (yes, the original) made me afraid of water too.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL It took me years before I would even go on a beach!

Fly - Your garden is beautiful! Is that a brug behind your daisies (Indian Summer?)
CJ

Thanks Dancey, Superk, konkrete and cj,
'Talking Tina' was scary...my fave is the monster on the jet wing. When I was little I thought that was so scary. Now, that monster looks pretty wimpy and I think I could kick his &*%^! I can't go in the ocean either, did you see 'Open Waters', I couldn't watch the end it was so terrifying to me. The weird thing is I'm infatuated by sharks, I have to watch everything about them.

There are 2 brugs and a clerodendrum behind the susans. The clero is blooming now, he's sooooo pretty, but he's a stinker, I've asked this before, but can anyone else smell this guy?

I saw Open Water, right after I gave up SCUBA diving. If I hadn't already given it up, that would have done it. That was a true story, BTW. Well, of course they expanded the part where they were in the ocean, because nobody knows what happened there for sure. I NEVER watch those other scary movies - the ones where they try to scare you. I would never be able to sleep. Jaws and The Exorcist almost did me in!!! Wuss.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't even think I was as scared of the sharks as I was of swimming in water that was deep and not knowing what was underneath me!! Like being an ant on top of the water. It's the opening scene...the legs dangling in the water... aaahhh!!!

I still love Twilight Zone but the ones about computers are SO stupid!! LOL!! I don't like the ones that are about astronauts being on other planets either. Just too silly now.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

You want one to keep you looking at the shadows twice.. 6th Sense - still keeps me on edge years latter..

So, CJ, did they get rescued?

Yeah the computer and the astronaut ones are silly. Actually I like the Andy Griffith marathon better.

Mitch, do you respect sharks too?

Nope.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

You bet I do - never out into open water - or murky water!

Some day I'll tell you why I gave up SCUBA diving....

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Konkrete....sorry I'm just reading this post. I'm rooting most of my cuttings in water. I filled a gallon with water and added 3 Tbsp. root hormone and then poured into various glass jars and placed the plants in windows that get plenty of sun. I really only started about a week ago and I'm amazed at how many baby roots I have on there.

Glad to see your a Twilight Zone sympathizer. I watched them as a child as well and can't get enough of them. If Fly_Girl hadn't mentioned her marathon the other night I would have forgotten them completely. Now I'm going to have to do a marathon!

Now, all of ya'll, there's no big jaws lurking at the beach. Just don't go past your ankles.

Trick of the trade.....you can dig your toes deep in the sand and catch crabs! Done it for years. Take them up under your umbrella and have crab races. Put popcorn at the end and place your bets!

You continue to amaze me with your many talents, Kristi.

CJ, why did you give up scuba-diving? I've always wanted to learn, but maybe not go on one of those boat dives, nnoooooo. Maybe I'll just stick with snorkeling, then I can see what's lurking.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Koncreteblonde I noticed you mentioned rooting a plant in floral foam. Tell me about that process. I've never heard of that.
Lin

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I first heard about it last year at a swap. A couple (DG members) had rooted some rose cuttings in it and everyone was amazed.

All I've done is bought a brick of green floral foam, poked a hole with the plant stem to get the size, then stuck the stem in rooting hormone and back in the brick. So far that little butterfly bush cutting is still standing up straight so that's a great sign.

I have bought plants before that had these little blobs of green foam in them. Now I know what they were.

knolan, I'm going to try that too. I've got some liquid rooting hormone that an old neighbor left me and a perfect bathroom window ledge that is currently vacant. Oh, I better go get those little jelly jars out of the recycling.

Neighbor's on both sides of me have willow trees too. I've heard putting willow branches in the water s a natural rooting hormone stimulater. One willow needs a haircut because it keeps cathing on my trellis so I'll use that one first.

There's a recipe for willow water right here on Dave's Garden. http://davesgarden.com/terms/go/1023/

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks CJ, I think I'll try the 2nd one since I don't want to cook anything for 10-12 hours! Yikes! I think sitting it out in a bucket in our sun should do the same thing tho. I like the idea of it being natural too.

And it really does work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.