New to Collecting Seed??

Madison, MS

Is there a good site to go to that helps us newbies on what we're looking for? I want to collect seed from my plants and some of my friends plants, but I don't know when or what I'm looking for. I was hoping there was a website that might be a easy reference (with pictures!!). I know just like most gardening it's a learning process, but I've got to start somewhere - thanks!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's a great site: http://theseedsite.co.uk/

Melbourne Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Weezingreens, I just came across your post of the seed site and it's really helpful. Thank you!!

-- Vicky

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

weezingreens, Thanks for that seed site. Patti

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

We've been trying to add seed images to our Plantfiles here on DG. Seeing the seeds and the seedlings can be so helpful. Pictures of the blooms are exciting, but identification photos are really a big help.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I am still a bit confused as to when you should actually PLANT the seeds. It seems that you should keep them in the refrigerator until ready. I will have hosta, iris and daylily seeds. Do I store them in the fridge or plant them right away?
Second question: how do you all store pollen? In the freezer?
Karen (aka liebran)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, Karen. The time to plant seeds would depend on the type of seeds you are planting. Some seeds are only viable if fresh, in which case you would plant them immediately, or put them in the freezer, or let the plant drop seeds and let nature take its course.

Some seeds need stratification, such as a period of freeze, then gradual thaw. In most cases, I sow them indoors during the winter, then set them out in a domed flat when the temps reach the next stratification requirement... usually 30's to 40'sF. The seeds usually germinate with the gradual warming for spring.

Some seeds take months to germinate, and in some cases, they may take years. This is far too labor intensive for most folks who do not have a lab, but rather, are keeping sown seeds in containers in the fridge. Eventually, they get turned over or thrown out. Winter sowing into a designated nursery bed works best for me in those cases.

Some plants are much more readily and successfully planted by division or cuttings, rather than seeds. It is always interesting to start new plants from seed, but if one is more interested in the resulting plant than the experience of starting the seed, other methods are better. Iris are slow to grow from seed, and if it is a hybrid, the resulting plants may not be at all like the mother plant. The same is true of hosta and daylily. In those cases, I'd divide the plants or do a live plant trade with another DGer.

As for the collection and storage of pollen...why would you be storing it? I let the birds and bees pollinate my flowers, but if I were to do my own pollinating, I'd do it directly from one plant to another. I guess this could be a problem if two varieties don't bloom at the same time. I'd ask that question on the propagation forum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.