My first blueberry!

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

OK, so was only *a* blueberry. But I just planted the bushes this spring, and I know I should've picked off all the blooms this year. But I just couldn't make myself get rid of ALL of them! So I had a single ripe blueberry that I actually found before the birds. Can't wait for a 'real' harvest in a year or two!

Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

Hey Zoo, I'm doing the same thing. I purchased my plant with a few berries already on it. Couldn't stand to pick them off. I still have a few weeks for them to rippen. If the birds don't get them, I'll have about 5 berries! Woo hoo!

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

I just had to tell someone who wouldn't give me the "Um, ok....and?" type look. Non-gardeners just don't understand! :-)

Congrats on yours, too!

I actually purchased a total of 9 plants for a small hedge - each a different variety, because I had no idea of which might work best. Only two actually bloomed this year, though. And the other is a mid-late season, so that one will be a while. I'm looking forward to blueberry pies & jam for Christmas presents!

Clawson, MI(Zone 6a)

My favorites are blueberry pancakes (like my dad used to make) and blueberry muffins! I suppose I'll have to go to the farmers market this year cause 5 berries just won't cut it.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Don't give up on new blueberry plants. 5 years ago I planted a 20' "hedge" of young blueberry plants all half-highs but different cultivars. I had to move before I really got to harvest many - but went back this spring and found out that in the past three years (the bushes are 5 or 6 years old now) there are enough blueberries for my young neighbors to have blueberry fights with. Gee - and I thought they were just for eating! The blueberries I planted at this house are three this years and I'm gonna have me some blueberries soon!

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

Oh, I'm not giving up! I finally have a house where we plan to stay for a long while instead of a 'temporary' house (you know - those 'starter' houses you live in for a few years at a time when you're first married?). We plan to live here at least until my toddlers are through high school, so I finally get to plant all those long-range gardens I've been avoiding until now ;-)

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I snapped a picture of my getting-to-be-ripe-soon blueberries. I am tired of the rain - but the blueberries seem to be lovin' it!

Thumbnail by AYankeeCat
Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

Nice bunch!

BTW: don't let my toddlers in on that 'blueberry fight' stuff - they'll think it's a great idea.

I look on the rain as a somewhat good thing. usually we have just enough for the mosquitos to breed in - this year we have puddles deep enough that they should still be there long enough for the tadpoles to mature, too. And I'd much rather have the frogs than the mosquitos! And you're right - the plants seem to be loving it (the ones whose roots can still breathe, anyway...)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.