Tagro

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

I bought 10 yds. of Tagro mix and have been spreading it in my gardens, it seem to be full of nutrients and is mixing well into the existing soil. but the smell is still there, they said it would go away after a few days, but that isn't happening. Has anyone used this stuff and how did it work for you? hostajim1

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Tagro? is that from the waste treatment?

Viv

Vizz8, yes it is, but it's pasturized, the mix is 50% bio solids, 25% peat, 25% sand. it's said to be an award winning program. I talked to several mastergardeners in my garden club before I bought it. so I'll see how it goes. at $10.00 a yard, I wanted to give it a try. Jim

Lakebay, WA

There are 3 different mixes that Tacoma sells, one is potting soil, then 2 lower grades with correspondingly lower prices. The stuff is wonderful! They do have a website with driving instructions (sorry I don't have the link saved). I was a bit skeptical at first, thinking it would smell and be very yucky, but it was not gross at all, just like normal stuff you buy in a bag. This fall I will be loading up my hubby's truck with it and getting beds ready for winter. I won't tell my kids what it is though ... I wouldn't get any help from them if I did!

the site is www.tagro.com they charge $10.00 a yard for delivery. 3 yard min. plus $10.00 for every 10 miles outside of Tacoma. hostajim1

Lakebay, WA

Thanks for link Jim! :) saving it now. I'm so organized at work, but take me out of that and it just falls to pieces lol

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

I have used Tagro for years and absolutely love it. If you go and shovel it yourself, it's free (my favorite price). However, my plants love it even more than I. Heavy feeders like roses and musa basjoo thrive with the stuff. Don't get me started on how well tomatoes grow with it. I haven't tried the new mixes, just the original Tagro. If you water it in well, the smell will eventually diminish.

Olympia, WA

Herpst - I didn't see that free part - but no matter - it sounds like it is worth it. I ran the map and now just need to find someone crazy enough to make that trip w/ me! Thanks, hostaJim, for starting the thread and waking me up to what is happening nearly in my own backyard.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

sounds good to me too..... need lots of cheap good, soil. need to build up my gardens. thanks Jim.

I used it at my last house and it was terrific! Never mind that I grew a sunflower with three heads (all connected, like a three sided flower. Very wierd). My foxgloves were at least 7 feet tall and probably 10 inches around. I am not exaggerating. but that was many moons ago, when they first started making the stuff. They've probably refined it since then. And the smell definitely goes away. It's also a great topdress for lawns.

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Is there any concern about heavy metals from sewage getting into your soil? How clean is this stuff. Sounds good, but also scary. Especially for edible crops.

jb

Lakebay, WA

From what I read on the Tagro website, it seemed pretty safe, and they got national awards for it. It's more the "cooking" of it that removes bacteria rather than the use of chemicals. At least that was my impression. I don't know though. Pixy had that 3-headed flower lol. My kids haven't grown any third arms, although it's not a bad idea, so they can get more chores done at once!

after wheelbarrowing I don't know how many loads and working the tagro in with my existing soil, I can say I'm liking it a lot!!!! and the smell went away. I'm watering less because the tagro absorbs more water than my soil did. no three headed sunflowers though. excuse me I got to get wheeling. Jim

Yeah, who knows how that three headed thing happened. It was the wierdest thing. And I talked to the tagro folks about it at the time and they just scratched their heads. My DH used to work for the waste water treatment plant and he was there when the whole tagro thing started. So we had 'connections'. Last time I saw the tagro folks, at the flower and garden show a couple of years ago, we talked about the heavy metals concerns and they were certain the stuff was safe. It's a good program. I'd go for it.
I just talke to my DH about a photo of that sunflower. I know we have one that used to be on a website. He says he has saved the entire site somewhere and promises that he will look for it this weekend if I remind him. I believe he said, 'email me so I can pencil you in'....LOL!!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL pixy...

Viv

Glendale, OR

Anyone know of a program like this in southern oregon??

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

CONN,
I'd call your local sewer treatment facility for a start. I would bet that the state of oreg would have an agency that would cover / know about this.

Best;
bluelytes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.