why didn't seeds flower?

River Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I took some seeds off some plants last fall...waited until they were dry on the plant. They rooted fine, grew nice healthy leaves, but never flowered. Any guess why not? (sorry I don't know the name of the flower. It is about 10" tall with red clustered flowers on top)
Lauri

Westminster, CO(Zone 5a)

Are they perinnials(sp)?

If so, they may not bloom until next year.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Oldpepper is correct, many perennials won't flower until their 2nd year. If you can post a pic of what it's supposed to look like I'm sure someone will recognize it and know if it was a perennial or an annual.

River Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I found one in a garden center. It is a type of salvia. The ones flowering in the store were about 8" tall. Mine were 10"-12" with big leaves, and no sign of flowering.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Sounds like you saved seeds from a hybrid variety...the plants sometimes don't resemble the parents at all...and sometimes they're sterile.

The only ones that will be exactly like the plants that you harvested seeds from, are called Open Pollinated. Hybrid plants will sometimes have simliar...but not the same flowers and fruit...and sometimes none at all.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Even if your seeds aren't from a hybrid, if they were grown from seed and the ones at the nursery were grown from cuttings that would explain why they're blooming and yours aren't...plants grown from seed often take longer to flower, size of the plant isn't the only thing that determines if it's ready to bloom or not.

Deatsville, AL(Zone 8a)

I am experiencing the same thing as laurihs4, who started this thread. I planted seeds for Four O'Clocks. I bought the seeds at a local store and they have come up nicely with beautiful thick foliage....no sign of a flower. The plants are now approx. 10 inches tall. I have never tried growing Four O'Clocks before and after reading this thread am wondering if they dont flower until the 2nd year????

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Four O'clocks should flower this year...but mine are usually a couple of feet tall before setting buds...they can get up to 4 foot. They're considered annuals in most zones and all will flower...they are open pollinated...but will cross with each other, if you have different colors blooming. They do have a root that survives the winter in some zones, but most plant from seed each year.

Mine have been blooming for about a month, so you should have blooms...is it too shady? Are they in pots? (I've found that they don't like small pots) Are you in the drought area? They do like their water.

Deatsville, AL(Zone 8a)

Melody: I have the Four O'Clocks planted in a planter outside. the planter is about 2 ft x 2 ft. I am in the drought area, but I have been religiously watering them, even fertilizing them with a liquid plant food about once a week. They are in an area that is shaded in the morning but get sun from about noon til sundown. Do you suggest that I transplant them from the planter to the ground?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Sounds like enough sunlight...mine are in the shade till about 1pm...but they sound stunted for some reason...the really should be bigger. Plant food may be part of your problem too...if flowering plants are fed too much nitrogen, they tend to have lots of leaves and no flowers...check your chemical make up...if it's regular Miracle Gro...or Petters...then the N level is too high. Your plants should be bigger though...when did you plant them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.