Blooming June 23rd

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Here are a few of my wintersown plants that are in bloom. What's blooming in your garden that you wintersowed?

First picture is Amaranthus, "Marvel Bronze"

This message was edited Jun 24, 2006 9:23 PM

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Not only are the flowers pretty on this Amaranthus, but so is the foliage.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Antirrhinum, "Black Prince"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Iberis amara, "Iceberg Superior"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Trailing Lobelia

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Nasturtium, Strawberry Creme

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Petunia, "Dolce Flambe"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Papaver (Poppy) it was suppose to be "Somniferum". I traded for this seed, but don't know if it was labeled correctly. It's pretty regardless. This is the first time I've planted Poppies in my garden. It should be interesting to see how it stands up to our heat & high humidity.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Pansy, "Chalon Supreme"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

Morning Glory, "Hoshi Asago"

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Shirley, those are beautiful! I really like that nasturtium; I love nasties but I've never had the strawberry cream. But they're all gorgeous!

Karen

Thanks Karen! That is the strawberry colored bloom. I'll take a picture of the cream colored bloom tomorrow.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Shirley, very pretty!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Love the lobelia - I want to try that next year! The rest are beautiful too!

Thanks Anita. I love the Lobelia also. It's great in hanging baskets.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

One of my 'What happened to my label' plants is finally blooming so I can ID it...Cigar Plant! And here I thought it was a dud for wintersowing! The others included Passion Flower, zinnia. I have one last one that is growing nicely, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Hopefully it will flower soon

Cigar Plant (Cuphea ignea) is a tender perennial/tropical! That's wonderful that it did so well with wintersowing! Did you sow the seeds in the Spring, once the temperatures warmed up? The hummingbirds will thank you for this plant!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I don't get hummers ....I sowed the seeds in March.

Salt Lake City, UT

Shirley1md,
Is your Amaranthus, "Marvel Bronze" is a four foot high plant? I got mine form value seeds and find that it falls short of the description a little. Just wondering if it is my growing conditions or the plant is not all that it should be? Mine are maybe just over two feet and growth has slowed, if not stopped. They are very pretty though.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Beautiful, Shirley! Love the 'Black Prince' snaps .....

Your 'Dolce Flambe' petunia is very pretty; I grew 'Dolce Salmon' this year and don't like it very much, it's very washed-out looking. I'm hoping that with some sun (very scarce lately), it'll color up and look as nice as yours.

PV

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok folks - the sun was actually out this morning so I took a few pics. They include Lavatera-Silver cup, zinnia, nicotinia, impatiens, poppie, nasturium, feverfew and just a few garden shots. I just love it!!!

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

one more..here are my veggies...

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2

utlucky: I didn't measure Amaranthus, 'Marvel Bronze', but it's not 4ft. I just assumed it was because I grew it in a shallow container. I also purchased them from Value Seeds.

PVick: Thanks so much. Yes, I've read mixed reviews on the Petunia 'Dolce' series. It's amazing how good those blooms looked in the Park Seed cataloges!

Yes, I like the snaps also, especially since they bloom so readily the first year. I have a couple more snaps in bloom that I wintersowed that I'll be adding soon.

Anita: Your garden looks beautiful! So many lovely blooms thanks to wintersowing! Which variety of Nicotiana did you grow? Lavatera-Silver cup deserves center stage! All your veggies are doing well too! Any flowers on your tomatoes yet?

Another wintersown plant blooming in June...Mirablis jalapa 'Kaleidescope Mix'.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Shirley - nicotiana sylvestris and a red one that I harvested seed from. Lot's of bloom on my tomato - I even have a few green ones on the big plant and tons of green ones on my hanging planter. I also have zucchini already and cucumber flowers!

I need to post a less blurry picture of Mirablis jalapa 'Kaleidescope Mix'. Fuschia and red colors makes my camera lens go crazy!

I love Nicotiana and I have some blooming. Promise to take pictures soon. Congratulations on your tomato blooms & your green fruit. I know you are counting the days until it turns red! Are you saying that you have already harvested Zucchini??? I better check my Zucchini carefully, because they could be hiding under some of those big leaves!

Cucumbers are so much fun to grow! You should be seeing little cukes on the vines, if you already have flowers. With all the rain that we have had in the last week, it makes those veggies grow almost over night!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

tell me about it. My zuc's were small, but I prefer them that way - less seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.