re-rooting a broken rose stem

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
I have an unknown rose from a dollar store that is just lovely.
The storm last night broke an entire stem off at the base where it met the root system. It seems to have a couple of roots left on it.
If I give it a very light coat of rooting powder and replant it, do you think it will survive? I went ahead and cut off the top that had an open bloom and several buds about to open and put them into a vase.

What do you think is the best way to "re-root" this?

THanks in advance,
Lora B.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

I am not an expert, but this fall decided to try taking cuttings of a couple of roses my mom had in her yard. I made cutting like I would any other plant; angled cut, hormone powder, stripped most of the leaves, good potting soil and kept moist and warm. The cuttings did very well, would imagine that your plan will work fine.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I would try it. Nothing lost.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I had a neighbor who would just stick rose cuttings in the ground with a glass jar over them.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

How long does it take a rose cutting to root?

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Caitlin- I have heard of that - in fact I think they used to sell decorative jars just for that reason.

As far as how long, I think I checked in a week and there were definite tiny little roots- after that I didn't look but noted that the cutting was alive and well. It wasn't any longer than other cuttings I have made.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I replanted it on Monday. Dusted it a small bit with rooting hormone and planted it back in the rose bed. I'll be curious to see how it does.
Thanks all.
LoraB.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.