Gloriosa Rothschildiana beauties.

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

I love these magnificant flowers. Even more so, as they are not invasive here. Orange - red in colour.

Thumbnail by bedouin

Gloriosa Carnosii.

Thumbnail by bedouin

I dont know the id of this one.

Thumbnail by bedouin

Gloriosa Rothschildiana

Thumbnail by bedouin

Gloriosa Superba.

Thumbnail by bedouin
Santiago, Chile(Zone 9b)

One prettier than the other!

Thank you for sharing your Gloriosas with us.

Ursula

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Absolutely GLORIOUS. The flower blooms are gorgeous and the vining nature of the leaves fascinates me. Beautiful! Thanks....

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Do they bloom in the first year for you? or should I be patient and wait for 2nd year bloom?
Debbie

Idmj, 've really not taken much note of the flowering time frame but I'd say from seed to flowering it takes at least a year+. Its a slow starter, but when the rhizome is about 2" it shoots up and blooms beautifully. Each new flush produces a greater number of flowers.

I leave the vines to die down naturally, as the bulbs are still being nourished while the leaves are green. The seed pods I leave to ripen on the vine till the stalks are brown and pretty dry. Then I either still leave them up and let time pop them open, or I pick them and leave the pods in the hot sun. They pop within a day.

If you start from seed, make sure the little bulblet is not harmed when you transfer the seedling to a larger pot. Its pretty fragile!

All the seeds look alike, so if you grow different types, but mix them alltogether in pots, try to put a marker id on each vine as its well nigh impossible to id them after the flowers dry. I've given up and mix all the seeds together when planting.

The first flower ...I believe... is the result of my cross pollination. The flower looks red but in fact is a burnt orange. I had to take the flower to a reddish one to make sure my eyesight was not fooling me! Definitely not a bright red!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.