Nature Story

Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hello,

I'm a new member and have a little story. This morning, I was out surveying my palatial estate (quarter acre in the suburbs of Philadelphia ;)) when I saw about 20 gorgeous caterpillars on my bronze fennel. Not just green, yellow, white and black, but neon green, neon yellow, pure white and clear, deep black. I was so excited because I've been hoping for this ever since I stuck the fennel in several years ago. After getting and eyeful, I ran back to the computer and googled "identify caterpillar" and was happy to learning it was the caterpillar for the swallowtail butterfly--a lovely butterfly common in these parts. They overwinter in the chrysalis and emerge in the Spring. Ah, nature!

I decide to do up the morning dishes, and in my mind are visions of watching the butterflies emerge and seeing them feed on milkweed and purple coneflower in my yard. I gaze out at the backyard. But what is this? Why is a family of cardinals perched on my fennel? Could they be enjoying my caterpillars, too? Oh yes, they're enjoying them alright--every fat, juicey, neon morsel.

Ah, nature!

Thumbnail by Fireweed87
Simi Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

Boy he was purdy! and tasty too I suppose... lol
I guess maybe next time you might wanna take him in and feed him and watch what happens. Good shot!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Just have to roll with it, don't you? Hopefully they didn't get them all. Great photo!

I'm sorry, I should have said that I pulled this photo off of the internet so you could see what the caterpillar looks like. I never got a chance to take a picture, the darn cardinals were too quick.

Hebron, KY

Here's a Swallowtail Cat on my Fennel

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Another pic of two

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Nice shots, Marilynbeth. I hope yours fair better than mine did!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.