Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Fireweed87

Subject: Nature Story

Forum: Wildlife Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Nature Story
Fireweed87 wrote:
Hello,

I'm a new member and have a little story. This morning, I was out surveying my palatial estate (quarter acre in the suburbs of Philadelphia ;)) when I saw about 20 gorgeous caterpillars on my bronze fennel. Not just green, yellow, white and black, but neon green, neon yellow, pure white and clear, deep black. I was so excited because I've been hoping for this ever since I stuck the fennel in several years ago. After getting and eyeful, I ran back to the computer and googled "identify caterpillar" and was happy to learning it was the caterpillar for the swallowtail butterfly--a lovely butterfly common in these parts. They overwinter in the chrysalis and emerge in the Spring. Ah, nature!

I decide to do up the morning dishes, and in my mind are visions of watching the butterflies emerge and seeing them feed on milkweed and purple coneflower in my yard. I gaze out at the backyard. But what is this? Why is a family of cardinals perched on my fennel? Could they be enjoying my caterpillars, too? Oh yes, they're enjoying them alright--every fat, juicey, neon morsel.

Ah, nature!