Something is eating my bougie bracts

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Is this something to be concerned about? It looks as though all of the leaves are ok, just the bracts have these holes. I haven't seen anything on them in the morning or night, so I have no idea what it is from. Any ideas? Should I try spraying with orange oil or neem?

Thumbnail by ms_merae
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

leaf cutter bees. This seems to be a big year for them, very wierd, they're eating everything. I don't know about control, sorry.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Merae--it looks magnificient to me,,,I'd just keep doing what you've been doing.
:)

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Love that color! Just beautiful!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

thank you for your compliments.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

azreno-you hit the nail on the head with the leaf cutter bees. Thank you!

I googled it and read a few articles. Now that you identified it, I do see this bee in my front yard. It didn't occur to me that it was flying around and getting my bougie. I read that they are actually good to have, but might be undesirable if they are laying nests on your home. So now that I have info, I know what is going on. The leaf cutter bee is laying nests on my home. I have a soffit in the front of my house underneath the eaves and fascia boards and the bee is going there to build its nest, layering my bougie bracts to protect it's eggs. The siding and fascia boards on my house is about 20 years old and is rotting. I will be replacing the wood this fall and so I am just going to let the bee's be. They don't bother me and I don't mind feeding them a bit as long as they don't destroy my plants. If destruction happens to my bougie, I might be a little mad at 'em.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Lynn I wondered what was going on in my yard too. Since I had not seen any of the leaf cutter ants around, I bet it's the bees.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Marie! They're really bad this year, huh?

ms- happy to help :-)

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

How kind of you to let the bees go on with their nest building. You are a good person!

Erick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.