what kind of gardening shoes do you wear??

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

These are my L.L. Beans shoes...after a year. Every year something different goes on them and I have to get a new pair. This time its the leather that became undone and is coming off. Thats a new one lol, but suffice it to say that they are no longer waterproof!

They send me a new pair for free every year, but I was just wondering what everyone else wears and how they like them, and if they last longer than a year. I hate breaking in a new pair of shoes-these are like slippers to me -but with the support, and I wanted to try something new that might last longer. I have looked online and the only thing that i have seen that looks halfway decent is the muck boot http://www.muckbootsonline.com/muck_daily_garden_shoes.html I have ordered a pair, but I really want good support and I am not sure that a "slipon" shoe will do that.

Someone said that Columbia has a great waterproof gardening shoe but I looked and didn't see one.

So...what do you guys wear????

Thumbnail by tigerlily123
Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, I don't think my answer will help you - I usually go barefoot. :-) Just never have liked shoes much. Kicking them off is the first thing I do when I get back to the house.

If I have to walk over rocks or holly leaves or something I have a pair of flip-flops - the kind with the fabric straps instead of plastic, because they last longer & are more comfortable. They wash off easily with the hose and dry off in no time.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Well even if it doesn't help I like your answer!! I used to go barefoot all the time when I lived in Hawaii and the soles of my feet were tough as could be. But here where it gets cold and I am on gravel in the greenhouse, my feet aren't what they were anymore :) Long hours with soccer sandles ( what I sometimes wear in the summer) tend to make my feet sore-hence the good support shoe.

West Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I go barefoot if I'm just watering or weeding, or wear flip-flops if it's raining (since I keep a winter veggie garden, it's a frequent issue), and if I'm going to be using a spade, shovel, fork, anything I'll want to jab with my foot, I wear this completely ratty pair of combat boots I have left over from my punkier days. If you can stand the super-hard sole, they might be a good option. Is there a surplus store in your area?
Larisa

Fulton, MO

Sandals in GH in summer. Muck boots in winter. Old tennis shoes otherwise. ;-)

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey SB are the muckboots that you wear what I have highlighted above? Do you think they provide good support? Does the rubber last?

I must be really hard on shoes to do what I do to the LLbean shoes in a year-at some point they are going to cut me off!! I think I wear my shoes more than others-

Larisa- I have found that when the flipflops get wet, my feet slide off the shoe, and ever since soccer sandels came out, I never wear anything between the toes anymore. The combat boot sounds interesting, but maybe a bit heavy-most days I wear these shoes 9 hrs or more

Fulton, MO

This is closer to what I use: http://www.muckbootsonline.com/wetland_fishing_field_boot.html

Mine are inexpensive, loose and oversized...not much support. I have two pair (I'm not sure why) and I have not worn one out yet, so I guess the rubber is holding up. You'll be harder on them than I will, seeing the pair of shoes you posted above!

SB

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

Another option is to invest in some 'Sno-seal' ( http://www.atsko.com/snoseal.html ). I've found this in the sports section of K-/Wal-Mart. It's a great water sealer. Since gardening shoes are perpetually getting wet and even the best shoes are going to be vulnerable at seams, a renewed application of sealer every month or so might be warranted - and it would be cheaper than buying new shoes all the time :-)

Lilburn, GA

I love my Crocks clogs. mine are lavender.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I only wear Merrills!! They are a slip on, but have wonderful support - but lack in the 'cute shoe' department. I am into comfort - not fashion tho. I wear a pair for 'good' for a year and then they become my garden shoes. I'm on my third year for this pair - they look ratty, but do the job!!

Walpole, NH(Zone 5a)

I use a high top work boot, purchase at any chain store like wal-mart. They offer the extra support and after wearing them all-day my feet still feel good. I usually get 3 years from a pair.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

Being from Holland I (of course) wear wooden shoes. Go through 2 pairs a year.

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

Shoes? do we have to wear shoes. LOL flip flops in the summer and slippers in the winter, you know the kind with the fir inside and rubber soles. If I have heavy digging I break down and wear tennis shoes. I should wear boots for heavy work I am not very good at digging,haha my DH says I don't weigh enough. I think I am just to lazy to go find my shoes and put them on. my flip flops are always by the back door.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Crocs...day glo pink.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 5b)

Crocs - black in summer -colder temps or avoiding the worms crawling into my crocs lands end all weather mocs in funky blue. My husband cruises around in his ugg boots!

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I bought an expensive pair of all-leather hiking boots about 15 years ago. They were too stiff and uncomfortable to walk in, so I started wearing them in the garden. I give them a coat of waterproofing spray every spring. Now and then the soles peel off, and hubby glues them back on. They may last another 5 years. I like the way they protect my toes and ankles when I get a bit inaccurate with the fork and spade, so when I replace them I'll probably buy a pair of work boots with steel toes.

Algonac, MI

Hello tigerlily123...I have been wearing a pair of cheap suade shoes I got from a cheap shoe store 5 years ago. They started out as dress shoes but I eventually took them out to the dirt, the lawn, the woods and anywhere else I decided to go. They only cost me $9.95 and I still wear them at home daily when I wear shoes anyway. I'm a barefoot guy!
If you have foot problems, you should be concerned of what you wear and buy something which gives you hard support (not hard shoes). It may be your ankles or even your back which gives your feet a problem. You may need to look at your total physical condition before buying shoes for any purpose.
Hope I have helped.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks LostIndian, I was asking because I grow for a living, and so I am on my feet all day, sometimes walking a lot, sometimes standing in one position for long periods of time, so thats why I want the support. I did buy a pair of Crocs and wear them quite a bit-I can see why people love them, they feel like you are wearing bathroom slippers!! lol but right now I am transplanting alot which means standing a lot and my feet hurt so just this am I switched to my muck boots for more support. I still think my LLBean shoes give the most support, but I really do like the Crocs and Muckboots too.

East Aurora, NY(Zone 5a)

I like Nothinz, the crocs are too wide for me it seems. The muck boot link that was posted first will probably be great shoes. I can't get a pair to fit right either, a 7 is too tight and a 7 1/2 is too big. Anyway, I've owned the Chore and the Hoser and I have a short pair of boots for the summer at the barn. These Muck boots are THE most comfortable boot I've ever owned. They are like wearing slippers, I LOVE them. I assume that the garden shoe will be very comfortable too.

Louisville, KY

I vote for Crocs!!! They are soooo comfortable. I wish I could wear them to work everyday.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I wear a pair of Merrells clogs: the bad news is they cost $70 retail. But they are fully washable, last forever, have excellent support, and make my feet (bunion included) feel great.

East Aurora, NY(Zone 5a)

Try ebay for the merrell clogs; you can get them for less than half price of retail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.