Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

This is the time of year when our local hardy geranium is in bloom... geranium erianthum. It is a familiar sight along roadsides or anywhere that it can find some sun. It self seeds nicely and adapts well to cultivation.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Santa Fe, NM

Hi. I have what I think are "Johnson's Blue" geraniums; spreading themselves all over the garden this year now that we are not having a severe drought for a change. I also have some hot pink or magenta ones that bloom in the spring. When these cranesbill get seedy, as they are now, how far can I cut them back without hurting them? I have never been sure on this.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

True Johnson's Blue are sterile and don't make seeds. I should think you can cut them back quite short, as long as you leave a bit of growth above ground.

Santa Fe, NM

Hmmm. I wonder what these are? Maybe the Johnson's Blue crossed with the magenta one, whatever it is.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

There are lots of lovely blue geranium besides the Johnson's Blue. I believe mine are a true Johnson's Blue, because they never set seed. Two plants were given to me by a friend when she divided her plant. It seems to be a much shorter and more rambling plant than the G. pratense I have, and it has really intense blue flowers. Some of my blue G. pratense can be as tall as 36-40", and some of them have a very blue bloom, as well. Here is a photo of my Johnson's Blue in early July. Your pink is probably G. sanguineum, and I don't know if the two could cross pollinate, or if the J. Blue can do so.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Santa Fe, NM

Yeah, those are a brighter blue. The original plant, sold to me years ago was supposedly Johnson's Blue. But, who knows what it really is. We do have wild cranesbill here but it seems more lavender or white. Right now mine is out of bloom and cut back. Thanks for the advice.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, it seems there are hardy geraniums for every climate. Our wild cranesbill is a soft lavender blue, but varies a bit. I've found all the G. pratense do well here, but some of the others seem reliable, as well. I've traded and purchased several different species and started them from seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.