Bougainvillea

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

My Bougainvillea on my home-made copper trellis.

Ooops, let me try again

Thumbnail by fly_girl
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Love the trellis, good job! And your bougainvillea looks happy. Bet it loves your Texas heat, the hotter the happier. :~)

Thanks, the thorns are wicked aren't they? Do you grow them? I keep mine in a pot so I can bring it in the garage in the winter.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice pic flygirl--is your clerodendrum u on the right side blooming yet?

I refuse to grow them because of the wicked thorns--used to have a huge one in the ground. I always looked I had been in a cat fight after hacking it back to the ground. And I would have to do it every year in the winter (usually cold, windy, and wet at the time too--lol) because it always froze back to the ground. I finally killed it--intentionally. But I love to see them; I might try again in a hanging pot--surely they stay 'manageable' in a pot, huh?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

yes, wicked thorns. I finally tore mine out a couple years ago, they were in a spot that was too shady & I did not get enough blooms to make the pain worthwhile. :~)
dmj, cat fight is a very accurate description! LOL

They are much easier to manage in a pot, I having a hanging pot too. Plus the pot environment is more to their liking, dries out quick and not too much fertilizer. They just bloom so much and those colors! The clero isn't blooming yet, do they smell weird to you? It's pretty repulsive, that's why he is in the back.

I can never get close enough to the clero u to smell it--it and the coral vine are the biggest bee magnets I got. But mine is really big--in full blazing sun, and it freezes to the ground every winter. But no thorns! He's been blooming for about 2 weeks now--a real thug, but good for the location its in and it is blue. I like it but I don't want 2 of them--one is enough. lol

Thumbnail by dmj1218

That's a pretty one, mine might be getting too much shade, he'll bloom eventually. But the smell, sort of like snake breadth, or what I imagine a snake's would be like. lol

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I know mine is in too much shade, but I don't have a sunny spot for it. It gets filtered sun and the goofy thing has not even leafed all the way out yet. 107 degrees, you would think the air alone would be enough heat for it. LOL But when I first got it, it was in full bloom and I fell in love with those gorgeous blue butterfly flowers, so I remember that everytime I am tempted to rip it out. :~)

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

WOW! Your cleo is huge. I had no idea they got that large. I may have to move mine if it's going to get that big. But I do love the sweet little flowers. Do you deadhead yours?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

that is huge! i'm starting some babies right now and i had no idea they got that big. does that die down in the winter and start back?

yes, I deadhead--when the bees let me get close enough.

Its in the 8-9' range now--freezes completely to ground every year--comes out from completely new growth at the bottom--its 4 or 5 years old now.
Debbie

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

do you remember how many plants you started out with? I have 3 and am wondering how much space i should give them. so far i really like it because i have it out in full sun all day and it has yet to fuss and look pathetic! wish i cold find more of those. LOL

one plant--3 would make a nice hedge.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

wow! i didn't expect that. thanks for the info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.