Anyone had luck propagating cardinal flowers?

Granbury, TX(Zone 8a)

I have 3 colors and would like to propagate some more plants. Anyone had success with a certain way of propagating these? Thanks Tanarae

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Tanarae1,
Do you mean lobelia cardinalis? I've done them from cuttings. I was going to say "the usual way", but since belonging to Dave's I've learned that we all seem to have different ways. I do mine in 50/50 peat and perlite, cutting 3-4 in long, enclosed in plastic bag. I have a feeling that they may root in water also, though I've not tried that way. Think I'll try that this week.

Granbury, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello wcgypsy, yes cardinalis. I will try the stem cuttings. Guess the plant just looks wierd to me, never having grown it. The stems are really thick like a brug or something. Just didn't want to hack them up if they wouldn't root. Thanks for the info and I will give it a shot. Tanarae

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

In late spring,I pull apart the plants into seperate little plants and pot them up.

P

Granbury, TX(Zone 8a)

Well it seems like they are all one plant with thick branches. Weird looking. Almost resembles a shrub to me or a hibiscus bush. I am going to try the cuttings though for sure. Thanks.

Emmaus, PA(Zone 6a)

I have the Lobelis cardinalis in my pond.. and the stem has grown roots. So i would say that the stems will grow roots in water.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I am surprised about how thick the stem is. I have several and also some seed which is very fine. I had mine on top of a bank and the only reason they survived was because it is rainy here. Last year I moved down to the bottom of the bank where there is a little wall so it stays much more moist there and they look bigger and healthier.
Can anyone tell me some info on propagating them from seed?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.