Florida Native Mallow

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

This was sold to me at a Florida Native Plant Sale. Of course it's a hibiscus, and I thought swamp mallow but I cannot find this exact flower in the plant files under swamp mallow (with photo) and my Fla Native book doesn't show this one either.

I would like to post some photos in the plant files on this, but want to be sure of it's identity. Thanks,
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

It sure is a pretty flower Molly. Can you call the place that had the native sale and inquire? No tag I'm guessing? I hate that. Nothing like getting home and trying to figure out which plant is which!

Terry,

Good idea, but this sale was a festival type thing for charity. A lot of vendors, all of which were back yard growers, had different plants for sale. And nope, this one had no tag in it.

Luckily I only bought one swamp mallow. Since I live on a hill of sand, any water here is pumped up from 110' down. I have a pond and the pot I put the swamp mallow in has real slow drainage so it stays damp between watering. Thanks for the ideas.

Molly
:^)))

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Well now you know for next year. Always take a plant with a tag! :o)

Bastrop, TX(Zone 8b)

We call it Texas star hibiscus here. I have mine in an area that gets standing water in winter, but is pretty dry in the summer. I water it when I water my other plants, and it does fine. I have seen it growing in just regular garden soil, and it does fine there. I don't think it has to have the extra water. Mine freezes to the ground in winter. In late winter, I cut it to the ground. It is now taller than I am (5'2"). It's easy and produces lots of seeds to share. It has not reseeded itself in my yard.

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hey Molly, I have that hibiscus. You will love it.

Art

Ormond Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Molly ,
Its Hibiscus coccineus .I love those huge latexy looking blooms :)

Here's another view:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.