Kohlrabi, the forgotten veggie.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

This old European veggie doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
How many of you have never even heard of it?
I'm trying this Kalibri Hybrid this year, quick, crunchy, tasty, and kinda pretty too.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here is an attempt at 'artistic' photography.
A leaf. (Makes nice 'greens')
Andy P

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I hate it when I hit the wrong key.

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Kolibri is usually more red. but it is a pretty kohlrabi. The only prettier one is Azure Star.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Very pretty. What does Kohlrabi taste like?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Farmerdill, I noticed that when looking at PlantFiles. The seed was clearly marked from Jung Seeds.
Jen, They are in the Broccoli/Cauliflower family. I think it's closer to Cauliflower in taste but different, mild.
Andy P

Spencer, TN

we used to grow it every year back in the 70's, havn't had it for awile, i think once in the last 20 years. need to get it again, maybe next year.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow it every fall--we love it sliced thin with dip.
Debbie

Ohh, sliced thin with dip. Yum!
We always ate it boiled, then mashed with butter and seasoned, then baked.
I am planning on planting some this fall!

GGG

West Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I grow it in winter, and eat it raw, sliced. I love the mild cabbagey, cauliflowery taste. I always grow the red kinds. I gotta try it mashed with butter; that sounds good...and maybe some garlic.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I love kohlrabi and buy it at the oriental market.We eat it raw,without anything and love it.

I have never grown it.I think I'll try it as a winter crop.How long does it take from seed till harvest?

Missouri City, TX

It is one of my childhood favorites. Tried to grow some this year - 3 plants survived from a 10' row - but they tasted great! Will try again in the fall.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

D'Babe, Depending on the variety they take 45 to 65 days to be ready. They are the second crop I pick, after Peas.
Andy P

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Andy, when do you plant your kohlrabi?

And thanks for the reminder.... I keep thinking I should try growing some, but end up forgetting it at seed-buying time!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I plant it with the Broccoli. I start the seed in flats 4 weeks before planting in early Spring.
I put them in between the Broccoli plants, they mature 2 weeks earlier and don't crowd them at all.
You can plant them any time, Fall is good too.
Andy P

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.